News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Starter Conversion

Started by d. Leverich, June 25, 2019, 12:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d. Leverich

I have a 36 Lasalle with a flathead 8. I'm doing a 12 volt conversion. Does anyone know if there is a starter that will fit? DL

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

There is NO 12V starter that will fit your car. Just use it as is.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

1959Fleetwood

Hello Dennis,

I agree with Bob, just leave it as it is. The 6 volt starter connected to a 12 volt system will give your engine a higher starting RPM and therefore easier to fire up even if your engine has a weak compression. You can also leave the horns as is because like the starter you use them only temporarely. The sound however is enough to wake your neighbours on a Sunday morning...  My 74 ElCamino has 1941 Cadillac horns, great sound !  ;)

Matern Harmsel
CLC 15331
Matern Harmsel
CLC # 15331

1941 Cadillac series 6227D
1953 Cadillac series 6237
1959 Cadillac series 6029
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino

d. Leverich

Thanks for the info. The problem I am having however is I have to replace the solenoid. The one I have has no wiring to it so I need the wiring diagram for it as well when I find a solenoid.

Denis L