News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1977 RWD Trailer Towing Package

Started by Dan LeBlanc, June 26, 2019, 09:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Can anyone with a 1977 Data Book look up what the trailer towing package consists of?

I suspect my 77 Brougham may have it.

Over the weekend, one of the diodes in the alternator must have died out.  Coming back from a Sunday drive, the generator light illuminated.  Stopped by the parts store on the way home and grabbed an alternator, 63 amp, and it didn't fit.  Pulled out the shop manual, and low and behold, I have the 80 amp.  The engine brackets are different for either alternator (the 63 amp has one lower ear, the 80 is much larger and has 2 lower ears).

I looked in the brochure to see if there was an option for HD charging system.  80 amp alternator was standard on EFI cars, limousines, and as part of the trailer towing package only.  There is no evidence that the alternator brackets being swapped.

If this is the case, this oddly equipped 77 Brougham just got more odd with the trailer towing package.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Acc to the 1977 Data Book Trailering Package consists of:

HO Generator and Regulator

Radiator w/HD Transmission Oil Cooler

Special Axle Ratio 3.08 : 1 (Eldorado 3.07 : 1)

Special Fan and Fan Clutch

I would imagine HO Generator would be optional separately without having to order the complete trailering package. HO Gen was included on cars equipped with FI.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Caddyholic

Wouldn't the trailer towing package include a factory hitch?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Dan LeBlanc

Hmmm.  Now this is where things get weird.

I have no fan clutch - mentioned this to Superman, says this is normal.  No evidence of a hitch ever installed, nor any wiring harness for lights or trailer brake, so the car hasn't towed.

Compared with a regular 78 coupe I've driven (you know which car, Eric), this one does feel a bit snappier off the line.

I'm averaging 12.38mpg (cruise at 65, engine in good tune) vs. around 15mpg from the same 78 Coupe I'm comparing the performance to - possibly attributed to a 3.08:1 axle ratio.

Never really paid close attention to the radiator when I had the plastic between the rad support and header panel off for cleaning.  Never thought to look.
Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Caddyholic on June 26, 2019, 10:09:46 AM
Wouldn't the trailer towing package include a factory hitch?

That was left to the owner. Car makers generally hadn't gotten involved with hitch equipment at this stage.

There was also a heavy duty flasher that was recommended in the Sales Guide but that would also have to be sourced aftermarket. 

Speaking of axle ratios, I have the 3.08 in a '79 which was a part of the High Altitude package. What a difference!

Dan LeBlanc

I can see how the 3.08 livens things up a bit.
Dan LeBlanc