News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Pinion Seal

Started by Coupe, June 26, 2019, 12:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe

The pinion seal on my '57 started leaking this spring.  I bought the seal and had a reliable shop replace it. It still leaks.  The mechanic said the breather must be plugged or there isn't one.  I can't find one.  I've had this car on the road for 17 years with no pinion leak until now.  I know later model cars have breathers on the rear axle.  If there is one where is it?

Thank you
Paul
CLC # 18899 
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

1959Fleetwood

Hello Paul,

The breatherhole is located at the upper backside of the axle housing.
Actually it is a small slot on the edge were the stamped steel cover is welded to the cast iron axle housing. I agree it is very difficult to see without a torch. Normally these slots don't plug up... The new seal can have a leak between the
seal chamber in the axle housing and the steel housing from the seal. Clean the whole edge, drive car around a few blocks and check if you see oil seeping through. I always mount a new seal with Permatex aviation type sealer or locktite.  The other possibility is that the yoke flange has a  groove from wear of the old hardened out seal,
A new seal will leak there because of damage to the seal lip. Yoke flangs can be repaired with a repair sleeve that you have to press over the yoke surface. SKF/ Timken part # is 99193. The 3rd possibility is overfilling the rear axle/differential. My interpretation is to keep the oil level a 1/4" below the filling plug to minimize leaking in unwanted places.
Hope this helps.

Matern Harmsel
CLC 15331
Matern Harmsel
CLC # 15331

1941 Cadillac series 6227D
1953 Cadillac series 6237
1959 Cadillac series 6029
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino

Jay Friedman

I can send a photo of the breather hole located at the upper backside of the axle housing, but I can't download it to this web site.  I can download it to a personal email, so if you'd like to see it, email me at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

bgrutza

If it comes to having to replace the seal I replaced my pinion seal with satisfactory results following the shop manual procedure. Retorquing the crush washer is critical.