News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The 62 Park Avenue is here !

Started by Glaswegian, June 28, 2019, 06:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glaswegian

It has been an epic struggle getting this done and a 35yr wait to get a car such as this but today will finally be the day when this baby arrives on my driveway !

She was loaded onto the trailer and will be here in a few hours...

I'll post a few pics of her in another post below this before she came from Sweden to Scotland and will post up more when I get the chance over the next few days.

Glaswegian

Numbers matching 1962 Park Avenue, 38k miles, all the toys bar cruise. ;D

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I see it also has power trunk pulldown - be careful never to slam it shut. 

Congratulations on your new treasure. There is nothing like a well preserved original.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Young

Tom Forsberg

1956 series 62 CoupeDeVille

Big Fins

Well, ain't you just the proud papa?   ;D

Looks sweet in the pix. Enjoy your every cruising minute in it.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Glaswegian

Thank you for the replies and kind words guys !

Arrived around 6pm last night a bit dirty and smells a bit like an old folks home inside. Lots of cleaning to do ! Wont get to drive her on the road till I get the new plates for the UK rather than the Swedish ones it has now, a pain but I knew that before hand and will take a bit of getting used to.

Got original paperwork for the sale and service booklet and some other stuff too, bought new in Pennsylvania then sold to my guy in Sweden Dec 2018. 38.5k miles on the clock and owner was 88 when he died this year. I'd have loved to tell him I now owned it and what it meant to me to be taking care of it...

I have a lot more questions to ask, so expect them to pop up here for weeks ahead.

Cheers

Jeff Wilk

Your enthusiasm is awesome and so genuine. Congratulations on getting such a nice original. Always keep paper/pen in the car so you can jot down things you need, want to do, questions as you think of them. Cant wait to see more pictures.

Jeff W
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Glaswegian on June 29, 2019, 05:19:37 AM
Got original paperwork for the sale and service booklet and some other stuff too, bought new in Pennsylvania then sold to my guy in Sweden Dec 2018.

I thought the car looked familiar.  I believe it had been offered for sale within the last several years in the car corral at the AACA fall show in Hershey PA.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Glaswegian

Have given her a wash, covered in bird poop, spider webs and so forth. Battery, even though new, gave up as think been started a lot to get her in and out of places then on and off trailers, ferry etc without actually driving anywhere. I only managed to check a few things before things stopped working.

Seat moved backwards and forwards and think tilted but no up down. May have been when battery failed. Passenger window wont go back up via drivers door switch only via Pass door. All the drivers door switches feel "sticky".  Door lock worked on all doors bar maybe one were pull feels stiff opposed to others, but again might be battery no juice.

I think the car was pretty grubby when the seller got it and did a good clean but only went so far. Been painted at some point, a little overspray in a few places from poor masking, some chips etc but looks good from 3 or 4 ft.

Chrome on bumpers need done, hoping cost might not be as bad here as in US, quite a few companies close by to check out for it, but no rush. Leather is excellent will just clean and feed.

Carpets have some stains but with mats they would never be seen, just a shampoo for them. Interior is its best feature I'd say.

Tyres are newish (Vercelli ) but think size may be wrong 235/75R/15 ? maybe not. Hubcaps are perfect.

Rubber round tops of windows is a bit rough on exposed part but soft where door seals against, they will need replaced at some point soon.

Trunk electrics worked fine, fans for heating and AC came on.

Brakes were not right methinks, though I was told they were redone. Could be bleeding or just the new shoes if they did them too? I have not driven a car with drum brakes for 35 years so might be expecting too much ! will take some time to adjust.

Engine area is dirty not been cleaned at all ! needs steam cleaned or whatever it is they do to engine bays these days before they sell them. And some items need repainted, air cleaner etc.

I can't be next to it for anytime without folks stopping to ask questions and admire ! guess you guys are all used to that ! I've got about 5 weeks to get it all cleaned up properly and sort out all these minor ailments and will get an oil and filter change, though the oil looks clean and about 3/4's up the dipstick( car on slight slope).

Rear parcel shelf are seems to be a mesh with no vents / speaker, but shadow of a center speaker seems there. Sales invoice said rear defroster bought as option. It all looks original but as I've never seen one I don't know. Headliner is red and looks perfect.

Much more to check out and report on, feel free to give me tips and advice on what to do and what not.

;)

Beautiful car and very well-optioned. Congratulations. I would like to see more pictures.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Glaswegian

Nils, I'll post up some better ones when I get it on the road and take it to a nice spot to do so.

So far only sitting in my driveway next to my everyday driver E class estate which is about a foot and a half to 2 foot shorter. It sticks out of most parking spaces here so what space the PA is going take up is probs one and a half  :o

Wee pic of the original bill  :)

Battery currently on charge, and re the battery it looks very small compared to the Merc one ! would it be harmful to get a bigger one? lots of space to fit it.

David Greenburg

Congratulations! I know it’s been a long time coming.  Take your time getting things sorted out.  I’d suggest changing all fluids and and replacing all hoses unless you are positive something was replaced very recently.  If the car has been doing a lot of sitting recently, it may take awhile to “wake up” and find it’s stride. The drum brakes should stop the car quickly at least on the first couple of stops; it’s when they heat up and start to fade that you’ll notice the difference from discs. I’d carefully check all brake hoses and wheel cylinders for leaks.  I look forward to seeing the car in person; perhaps soon than later.  Might be heading that way in the fall.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Serdontos

Congrats, beautiful car....good luck with her!
Ronnie Lay
Mannford Oklahoma
CLC#31047

1964 Coupe Deville
1964 Fleetwood Sixty Special (2)
1964 Sedan Deville

Glaswegian

Thank you guys and David you'd be welcome to drop by but we may be away in far east that time of year, just FYI. Let me know if you want any help or advice on the trip.

So after charging up the battery, discovered a few things, radio and clock non op, expected that. Lack of fuel meant not starting up, will need to fetch some and fill before I can use.

Window wipers non op, but maybe engine needs to be running ? even key turned to position one still nothing. Will look at fuses underneath dash next. Washer water container was full of crap, rubber pipe split at the end so was just hanging. After cleaning the container tried cutting a little off to push back on but just splits due to age I expect, will sort something later.

All the hoses look new or newish, but think maybe no antifreeze. Can you use modern stuff? The hose at the bottom of the radiator feels like something is inside it when squeezed, that normal ?

Had a look for oil filters here rather than import, but hard to find correct ones without part numbers. Some brands not available here.

Spent most of the day cleaning properly the interior, toothbrush time !  Came up great, its in fab condition for a car this old, very minor damage and dash paint and pad is a little faded. The lights switch rear bezel was in the glove compatment, any idea how to remove the knob to get it back on ?

Still finding the parcel shelf odd, the bill shows rear defroster paid for and the manual shows a pic of them, but shelf is flat mesh. Headliner look as new as day one !

Shampoo'd some of the carpet, dirty marks coming out ! the plastics round seat frame  had a lot of grainy black dirt embedded, but a degreaser took it all out along with the toothbrush !

Lights all good it seems and need to figure out what that joystick in the door does. One switch is deffo not doing what it should so expect the door panel will be off soon for inspection.  Duff switch might be causing seat to not do all functions.

Took a few pics and any answers/help is appreciated.

If I need to start a new thread with questions let me know the protocol to follow.  ;)

Cant get that door pic to load the right way up, tried several edits, its right way on my view.. sorry

Caddyholic

The rear defogger should have a switch under the dash to the right of the steering column. Is there a fan in the trunk under the package tray.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Big Fins

Quote from: Glaswegian on June 30, 2019, 11:05:37 AM
Thank you guys and David you'd be welcome to drop by but we may be away in far east that time of year, just FYI. Let me know if you want any help or advice on the trip.

So after charging up the battery, discovered a few things, radio and clock non op, expected that. Lack of fuel meant not starting up, will need to fetch some and fill before I can use.
*Check fuse panel first.

Window wipers non op, but maybe engine needs to be running ? even key turned to position one still nothing. Will look at fuses underneath dash next. Washer water container was full of crap, rubber pipe split at the end so was just hanging. After cleaning the container tried cutting a little off to push back on but just splits due to age I expect, will sort something later.
*Engine doesn't need to be running. Either the ACC or ON position of the key switch should operate the wipers. Check fuse and electrical connection at the controller on the firewall.

All the hoses look new or newish, but think maybe no antifreeze. Can you use modern stuff? The hose at the bottom of the radiator feels like something is inside it when squeezed, that normal ?
*Not sure what is available in your country for coolant. The lower hose will generally have a coil spring inside to prevent collapsing of the hose while the T-stat is closed and/or the water pump is pulling hard.

Had a look for oil filters here rather than import, but hard to find correct ones without part numbers. Some brands not available here.
*Cross reference AC/Delco PF 24 to what you can purchase.

Spent most of the day cleaning properly the interior, toothbrush time !  Came up great, its in fab condition for a car this old, very minor damage and dash paint and pad is a little faded. The lights switch rear bezel was in the glove compatment, any idea how to remove the knob to get it back on ?
*If you can reach under the dash, the light switch itself will have a little pin on it that is spring loaded. Pressing that will release the knob and actuation rod. Look in your Factory Service Manual if you have it yet.

Still finding the parcel shelf odd, the bill shows rear defroster paid for and the manual shows a pic of them, but shelf is flat mesh. Headliner look as new as day one !
*Defroster question was answered already. You can see the grid in the center of the shelf.

Shampoo'd some of the carpet, dirty marks coming out ! the plastics round seat frame  had a lot of grainy black dirt embedded, but a degreaser took it all out along with the toothbrush !

Lights all good it seems and need to figure out what that joystick in the door does. One switch is deffo not doing what it should so expect the door panel will be off soon for inspection.  Duff switch might be causing seat to not do all functions.
*That 'joystick' controls the outer door mirror.

Took a few pics and any answers/help is appreciated.

If I need to start a new thread with questions let me know the protocol to follow.  ;)

Cant get that door pic to load the right way up, tried several edits, its right way on my view.. sorry
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

David Greenburg

There’s nothing “wrong” with continuing to post your questions in this thread, but you might miss potential readers who might not be following this thread since  they might think it is just about your acquisition experience. If you post specific questions, your message will be more likely to catch the eye of other members who might be able to help.  That said, I can help with a couple of your questions. As for antifreeze, I recommend using the traditional green stuff.  And your lower radiator hose feels like there’s something in it because there is.  There is a coiled spring in the hose to keep it from collapsing.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Impressive options... beautiful car.

A question to the '62 owners. Is this cigar lighter an original one? If yes, I have the wrong ones.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Cadillac Fleetwood

The cigarette lighter depicted is correct for '62. The sides of the knob have a brushed finish.  The top is bright.  I have complete lighter/knob assemblies that are VIRGINS!

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"