News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 Cadillac Calais, where is the Ignition Relay located?

Started by richardbergquist, June 28, 2019, 09:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardbergquist

Could it be the Ignition Relay and if so where is it located?

The other day as I had the fuse panel out, the panel came in contact with metal and started smoking briefly. After that the windows didn’t work. I figured it was just the circuit breaker that had gone. When I got home a light rain started. I quickly realized the circuit breaker was not the culprit since replacing it with a fuse didn’t get the windows working. In the end, to get the windows up I fed power straight from the battery to the power feed and every window on the switch panel in the drivers side door arm rest. After that the there’s no power nearly anywhere (headlights work). There is no ignition. I can’t use the car cause it now has no power. Could it be the Ignition relay that I managed to burn when I put power straight from the battery to the switch panel? Where is the ignition relay located? How do I test it? Can I replace it with another relay in the car to see if that one is the culprit?

Yes I have the factory manual and no I haven't been able to figure out where it is located from that one.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I don't think there is an Ignition Relay as such, but I am not sure when Fuseable Links were installed in the Wiring Looms.

Sounds like you have a burnt-out Fuseable Link, and these on later cars are attached to the main Starter Cable, possibly three, and you should be able to see them looking down at the back of the engine, below the AC box, coming from the Starter Motor/Main battery to Starter cable.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

richardbergquist

Wires from battery go to start motor and from there to ignition switch. Wires run close to exhaust. Odd place to put them. Wire to ignition was torn.

35-709

That is a Fuseable link wire, be sure to replace it with the same size and length.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadillactim

You said you had the fuse panel out. Make sure one of the wires on the back of the fuse panel didn't get unplugged.

Tim
Tim Groves

The Tassie Devil(le)

That is one ugly picture, but it does show the need for maintenance in a very sensitive area.

You might be able to re-crimp the fusible link to the wire, using a crimp, as that is the best way instead of trying to solder it back together.

Plus, it is now a good time to tidy everything up, and secure the cabling clear of the exhaust pipe.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

richardbergquist

Thanks for advice guys. I agree, looks really ugly. I’m gonna try to clean it up and crimp them together. I guess all links should be replaced and all but I’m doing this crawled under the car in the side of the street so it’s not really a place to do the serious repair. Thanks again. I’ve learned something new. Didn’t know what a fuseable link was before this.