News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 transmission removal

Started by txturbo, June 30, 2019, 07:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txturbo

well.....its time to do this. I need to pull the transmission on my 56 CDV. Service manual doesn't really give much detail on this. It sounds like its suppose to slide back and tilt to remove, but looking at it that just doesn't look possible. The tail housing goes through the x frame far enough that the back can't tilt down. Anyone have first hand experience taking one out?
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

J. Gomez

Quote from: txturbo on June 30, 2019, 07:32:35 PM
well.....its time to do this. I need to pull the transmission on my 56 CDV. Service manual doesn't really give much detail on this. It sounds like its suppose to slide back and tilt to remove, but looking at it that just doesn't look possible. The tail housing goes through the x frame far enough that the back can't tilt down. Anyone have first hand experience taking one out?

Dan,

Yes it is possible, sliding the complete transmission back about 2” inside the X opening allows for the front to be tilled down and start slowly dropping it. You may need to also move it sideways while the front is going down for clearance.

Good luck…!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

txturbo

ahhh....ok. They meant tilt the front down not the back. Ive never done one like that before....and I worked at a transmission shop for a year. Thanks
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

V63

A bolted cross member needs to be removed just under the transmission