News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 cadillac engine oil change.

Started by mldurocher, July 01, 2019, 09:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mldurocher

Im looking for advice on what engine oil I should use for my 57 series 62 with the 365 and when I change the oil filter do I have to soak it in oil, any help would be most helpful. Im a noob.

dplotkin

I'll assume the car is used in above freezing ambient, for hobby purposes and that the engine is in good mechanical condition. 10W30. As to the filter, to my knowledge you have a cannister type filter with a removable and throwaway element as I do on my 56.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

mldurocher

Thanks Dan. So using a modern oil is okay? And yes its a canister oil filter but do I prime it? Im doing the first oil change since I've owned it which is about 2 months and my manual has not arrived yet.

chrisntam

If using normal modern oil, suggest adding zddp additive.  It provides zinc in the oil for the hydraulic lifter (tappets) riding on the cam.  Or you can use dedicated oil for older cars.

Here's the like for zddp searches, read through them and determine how best to proceed.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?action=search2

You'll have to put zddp in the search box...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

mldurocher

Lexi

The link below is for a good replacement oil based on the above posts and information you provided. This motor oil contains enough zinc to protect your engine. If you use conventional motor oil then include the ZDDP additive. On my '56 I remove the old oil from the filter housing, wipe clean, then half fill with fresh oil before installing the new filter, (assuming '56 & '57 are the same filter systems). I use WIX brand filters. I also use a syphon to extract the oil from the housing, (a turkey baster would probably also work). I usually drive 2 or 3 miles to ensure the filter gets a good soaking, then check again my oil level. Be sure to install the new rubber lid gasket provided. Probably is also a good time to crawl underneath your car and grease the fittings as well. Invest in a manual grease gun and perhaps pick up a couple of extra fittings for those hard to reach areas. Clay/Lexi

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-10W-30-VR1-Racing-Motor/dp/B00DJ4FMK2

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Believe it or not, Menards has the VR1 Racing oil for about $5/quart. Much less than just about every other place I have seen.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

mldurocher

I appreciate the knowledge and the instructions, I might have to check out the Valvoline vr1 oil.

Jim Miller

Hemmings offers motor oil in three weights with the correct additives for classic cars. There is also Classic Car Motor Oil which has correct level of zinc. Both are on Internet.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

gkhashem

You are supposed to clean the oil breather cap too with a solvent. People forget to do that. Look in the shop manual.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Lexi

George is correct. Also don't forget your oil bath air cleaner as well. I believe '57 Cadillac still used that system. When removing your air cleaner keep it level or else you may spill oil all over you and your engine, (unless someone has converted it to a dry filter system). Clay/Lexi