News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wire wheels and inner tubes

Started by Manon4, July 03, 2019, 04:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manon4

I have a 79 seville with nice orig wire wheels. I hear all sorts of cautions about using the necessary inner tubes.  Will get too hot.  Will cause tire failure. New tires are coated on inside so tubes cause probs. Etc etc. is is ok to use tubes and drive  regularly on the highway?  Thx. Manon4

TJ Hopland

Are you sure they require tubes?  Seems odd that they would design a wheel that far into the tubeless era to require tubes.

From my limited knowledge and memory on the subject I'm thinking that if you use a tube in a tubeless tire you have to de rate it somewhat both speed and load wise.   With the limited options for that size these days I could imagine you not being able to find a tire that would be a good fit unless you were not planning on any highway driving.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

The "necessary" inner tubes?  I'd want to see that in writing --- from GM if they are GM wheels.  Inner tubes are to be avoided with radial tires and the '79s had radials.  Do believe by then that wire wheel sealing technology was pretty much in place and reliable.  I run aftermarket wire wheels on my '35 Cadillac resto-mod with no tubes and no issues.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Manon4

Thx. These are the dayton wire wheel options and all leak around the spoke inserts. Day said tubes were fine but i dont like that idea particularly.  I think i ll just put on my set of reg steel wheels and hubcaps. 

Glen

Spray the inside of the rim with a good coat of Flexseal?
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104