News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Cadillac Headlight Dimmer Switch

Started by Bill Young, July 04, 2019, 10:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Young

Who sells the correct 1955 Cadillac replacement floor dimmer switch and also almost more importently the floor switch that sits to the right of it that is the temporary override to high beam for the Autronic Eye ? Mine is missing . Thank You

MickeyCaddy

I need one of these too for my ‘55. I’ve done some searching, but haven’t had any luck. Would love to find a new replacement part; not NOS, which would likely be super-expensive, if it’s even available.

Jay Friedman

According to my 1935-55 Master Parts List, the foot-operated dimmer switch is the same from 1934 to 1955, so should not be difficult to find 2nd hand.  It's part number 199 7008.  Try Dennis Akerman or John Gately, who are in the CLC directory in NH and MA, respectively. 

Alternatively, here's a NOS one on ebay: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-1958-GM-NOS-DIMMER-SWITCH-CADILLAC-BUICK-ROADMASTER-PONTIAC-STARCHIEF-OLDSM/372678146729?fits=Year%3A1955%7CMake%3ACadillac&hash=item56c5593aa9:g:FQsAAOSwW1Bc6uxx
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Roger Zimmermann

I have a standard dimmer switch 1946 to 1958 for $ 30.00. The dimmer switch for cars with Autronic Eye is specific of course and diferent. There is no override switch next to the standard switch, this function is assumed by the specific switch.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Caddy Wizard

If you have the old switch, it is a simple matter to take them apart, clean the contacts and lube them with bulb grease, lube the moving parts, and reassemble.  Same thing for mechanical brake light switches.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

J. Gomez

Quote from: chrisntam on July 11, 2019, 01:07:52 PM
I hope not, not for $325 for a dimmer switch?

>:(

That one is for the Autronic-Eye control (on or off) and if you want 100% authenticity $$$ is not an issue, but if you want functionality a simple modification of a foot switch would do it.  ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

My '56 Biarritz  and '57 Brougham have the Autronic Eye. I don't have this funny switch; in the accessories, there is an auxiliary foot switch, group 53.0290, # 1997022, which is a tad more expensive than the standard foot switch. I'm sure that the switch in eBay is a wrong one.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on July 11, 2019, 01:30:23 PM
My '56 Biarritz  and '57 Brougham have the Autronic Eye. I don't have this funny switch; in the accessories, there is an auxiliary foot switch, group 53.0290, # 1997022, which is a tad more expensive than the standard foot switch. I'm sure that the switch in eBay is a wrong one.

Roger,

The 1955 has two one is the regular beam-selector foot switch for the headlights and the other override is for the Autroni-Eye control. For 1956 and after they went to a single switch and added the functionality under one.   ;)

The “red” wire on the single switch is for the Autronic-Eye control to either turn it “off” momentarily for passing by just slightly pressing when the high beams are on or by turning the Autronic-Eye function off by pressing it down. 

The single foot switch on the 1955 with the “red” wire functions the same.

HTH

Sorry forgot to include the wiring for 1955-1956
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

MickeyCaddy

I've been researching this for a couple of years. That's the exact switch for a '55; it has the tell-tale single red wire. But holy cow...$325.00! This is the first time I've seen one of these for sale, and I expected it to be expensive; but not THAT much.

Thanks for the explanation of the change for '56 and up. Now I see why these are so hard to find. The online item in the link above is listed as for a '57, but that's probably incorrect. FYI, the smaller dimmer switch in my '55 is physically damaged, bent.

Until now, I've only been able to find a few online pictures; here are the two switches connected together with the red wire visible; a '55 floor gasket; and '55 interior showing the Autronic Eye and floor switches.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: J. Gomez on July 11, 2019, 01:51:19 PM

The 1955 has two one is the regular beam-selector foot switch for the headlights and the other override is for the Autroni-Eye control.
Jose: thanks for the explanation!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Quote from: MickeyCaddy on July 11, 2019, 09:23:43 PM
I've been researching this for a couple of years. That's the exact switch for a '55; it has the tell-tale single red wire. But holy cow...$325.00! This is the first time I've seen one of these for sale, and I expected it to be expensive; but not THAT much.

Thanks for the explanation of the change for '56 and up. Now I see why these are so hard to find. The online item in the link above is listed as for a '57, but that's probably incorrect. FYI, the smaller dimmer switch in my '55 is physically damaged, bent.

Until now, I've only been able to find a few online pictures; here are the two switches connected together with the red wire visible; a '55 floor gasket; and '55 interior showing the Autronic Eye and floor switches.

FYI

The one on your first picture (dual foot switch) was used on the ’52-early ’54 with Autronic-Eye part 5943291, the late ’54 and ’55 the auxiliary switch was independent part 5945230. The dual foot switch was also used on other GM models with the same Autronic-Eye feature.

There is a chance you could rig one up that may look close to the original just for the auxiliary one, if you are not looking for 100% authenticity.  ;) This one is just an “on-off” type which connects to the chassis ground at the base and extends it to the wire.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

The Tassie Devil(le)

From the look of it, I didn't think it would be too hard to "modify" a normal dimmer switch to do the same task.

Especially when the cost of the replacement was so high.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MickeyCaddy

Thanks guys â€" since it's a simple momentary switch, it sounds like I can work this out without using the correct original part.

Jose, thanks fo the explanation of the differences between the '52 â€" early '54 switch and the late '54 â€" '55 unit. That explains what I noticed in the pictures I've seen and posted: the '52 â€" early '54 switch, which I now understand was siamesed with the main dimmer switch, appears to have two rivets permanently connecting it to the flange surrounding the main switch. The 1957 switch pictured on eBay is differently shaped, and has three grommets around its flange, as if it's designed to be screwed onto the main switch.

I'll have to look further into what's installed on my '55; almost everything on this car has turned out to be factory original.

Bill Young

Thank you guys , the floor grommet switch setup is identical to the turquoise blue 1955 car pictured above.