News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Spare tyre damage

Started by Glaswegian, July 11, 2019, 10:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glaswegian

I am still working on the little things on the new purchase, while waiting for number plates, removed the spare to vacuum the boot ( trunk for you guys  ;) ) and have a look under the carpets etc.

All tip top there just stained carpet really, but the spare gave me a fright !

Still full of air but the damaged sidewall is as thin as a balloon ! big chunk out the tread too !

How anyone drove with tread this skinny amazes me ! Going to replace it obviously, but the tyres now fitted are not available here. Will just fit the same size with no whitewall to save some pennies.

Hercules brand, why they kept it I have no idea  :o

Big Fins

Pic #2, that thing is missing an entire tread compound mainly due to overheating of the tire by having it so low on air pressure. #3 looks like the tire was run forever with 10-15 psi in it.

Sad that people don't know how to take care of simple maintenance.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Bob Schuman

Same failure as I had last year with my new-looking spare that had never been out of the trunk during my ten years of ownership of the car. Dry rot is what I believe was the cause. My tire was 22 years old, but I had never checked its age before. You should also check the age of your other tires, and if ten years old, replace them regardless how good they look.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Glaswegian

Tyres are newish Bob, here they put year of manufacture on them, but the ones fitted are from USA.

I thought maybe a kerb hit at some point, no big deal really just wanted to show it as never seen a tyre like it. Tread is as skinny as a motorcycle tyre  :-

Looked underneath rear parcel shelf where only a speaker is fitted. Original owner paid for rear defroster, seems odd nothing there ? would be better if spare was up underneath that wasted space which is a good stretch away.

signart

All DOT approved tires have a manufacture date on them. Maybe a code with the week/year or have the month/year. A lot of tires from the U.S. are made over yonder ::)
Art D. Woody

Glaswegian

Had a look at the tyres, might be late 2016 they were made, if I'm reading the number correctly.

The WW part is not as clean as it could be, was reading the thread about what to use to brighten them up, but lots of the products mentioned I've never heard of or seen.

Will see if google tells me alternatives available here.

z3skybolt

Quote from: signart on July 11, 2019, 12:05:09 PM
All DOT approved tires have a manufacture date on them. Maybe a code with the week/year or have the month/year. A lot of tires from the U.S. are made over yonder ::)

Signart,

Are you saying that a tire marked "MADE IN THE USA" could be manufactured in a foreign nation? Or just stating the obvious..... that a US brand can be in fact manufactured "over yonder"?

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

signart

That's right, just saying some well known American tire companies that have been around over 100 years are manufacturing tires in China. I do NOT contend that tires labeled  made in USA are made elsewhere.
A case in point, I wanted a semi-aggressive set of tires for my 2WD Silverado from a catalog at a small local tire dealer from their catalog. Their distributor delivers daily. I passed over some brands not so familiar and opted for a set of Uniroyal tires with the tread and load range of my preference.
I swear I had those tires 2-3 years before I had a clue they were made in China. I just happened to notice the origin on the sidewall while checking pressure, which I do often.
The tires have worn great and no problems, but they are getting some age on them now.
I'm not going to be running Chinese tires on purpose.
Art D. Woody