News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 steering box disassembly

Started by Bronze, May 18, 2020, 01:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronze

I have a leak on the 90 degree tube that attaches the control valve to the housing. After checking the exploded view i thought i could just remove the 2 screws holding the valve body to the housing and then lift he valve body up, but there seems to be more resistance than can be explained by the o-ring. Is the inside lever attached in some smart way that prevents the valve body to be removed? I guess the simple question is, how do i remove the valve body to replace the o-rings in the 90 degree tube, (or "cover" as it is called in the exploded view).
Suspect Roger might have the answer to this one as he seems to have been doing quite a bit of work on he steering gears...

Thanks in advance for any hints.
/Martin

J. Gomez

Quote from: Bronze on May 18, 2020, 01:20:51 PM
I have a leak on the 90 degree tube that attaches the control valve to the housing. After checking the exploded view i thought i could just remove the 2 screws holding the valve body to the housing and then lift he valve body up, but there seems to be more resistance than can be explained by the o-ring. Is the inside lever attached in some smart way that prevents the valve body to be removed? I guess the simple question is, how do i remove the valve body to replace the o-rings in the 90 degree tube, (or "cover" as it is called in the exploded view).
Suspect Roger might have the answer to this one as he seems to have been doing quite a bit of work on he steering gears...

Thanks in advance for any hints.
/Martin

Martin,

There are no other attachment at either the control valve link and/or the actuator lever at the end cover, the link just slides at the actuator.

Now there could be the valve (no fluid pressure) is pushing the link (spring pressure) against the actuator causing it to get stuck at the 90 elbow. You can try pulling on the valve assembly while prying the 90 elbow up at the cover side.

Also the old “O” rings tend to glue everything in place so you may need to take and extra shoot of "Vitameatavegamin”.   ;D

Good luck..!   
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bronze

Big thanks for the confirmation José.
Spinach for dinner and Protein shake tomorrow morning, then i will do battle with  an ounce of 64 years old rubber....

J. Gomez

Martin,

From what I remember when I did mine; I just loosen the bolts (2) and with a flat blade screwdriver I worked the 90 elbow around while continuing loosing the bolts until it clear the "O" ring.

But that was last century and a few brain cells have been snoozing since then.  ;) 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

Indeed, the control valve body is pushed on the steering box; it engages into a notch offering no resistance. As Jose wrote, the thin O rings are glued to the body. You will also have to replace both O rings sealing the valve body to the steering box.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101