News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Any Road Trip Mechanic Recommendations? Hudson Valley, Montreal & New England

Started by colinlikens, July 12, 2019, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinlikens

We're going to be taking our Eldorado on a lengthy road trip in a few weeks.  The car is in really good running condition and thus we're hoping for no significant troubles.  Nonetheless, I'd like to know if any club members in eastern NY, the Montreal area or New England have mechanics they would recommend?  These could be super-trusted service-providers or merely those that would be recommended only when you're in a bind.  But it seems wiser to ask beforehand rather than simply entrusting the car to whomever is nearest.  We have the best flatbed towing coverage that our insurance offers.

Our route is as follows:
1. Philadelphia up the Hudson Valley to Montreal.
2. Montreal to Burlington, VT.
3. VT to Ogunquit, ME.
4. ME to Cape Cod.
5. Cape Cod to Hartford.
6. Hartford to Philadelphia.

I'm super excited to be including the car on the trip.  We've taken it on trips to Cape Cod before and had a great time.  But this will be our longest trip by far -- visiting friends along the way and enjoying open-air driving.  I hope to have some good photos to share upon our return.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! 

Best wishes for happy and safe summer driving to everyone!

Colin
1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

chrisntam

I can't help with area mechanics, but I can suggest you bring parts with you that may not be readily available in your area.  This way, you can provided the parts that any capable mechanic can install.  I got this idea from Dave (Michigan), who drove his '58 EB to the '19 GN, which developed a slight vibration on his trip.  Turned out to be wheel bearings, which he provided to a local mechanic in Louisville that they installed.

On my recent 1800 mile trip to the GN, I brought a water pump, fuel pump, distributor, plugs, valve cover gaskets, tools, small hydraulic jack, wheel chocks, small air compressor, etc..  I'd say most of the parts mentioned are readily available, but it would save some time should these parts be needed.  I'll be adding in wheel bearings on my next trip.  Bring the factory service manual too.

Good luck with the trip, post a thread on it and bring us with you!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Wilk

Printed copy of the CLC Membership Book so you can look fellow hobbyists up locally if you’re in a bind. Also your Hagerty enhanced coverage Roadside Assistance 800#. And a cooler of “cold _____’s” to stay hydrated while you wait, and a good credit card!   ;D
::) 8)
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Big Fins

Spare bulbs are handy to have too and take up no room at all.
Tuck in a small basic took kit too. Include a bottle of RainX and a roll of paper towels.
I went to Savannah from Ft Lauderdale in my '59 and had what seemed like an entire shop with me. I drove at 80mph stopping only for gas. The things i did have I was able to help other members with.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Barry M Wheeler #2189

When we went to the second  Boston GN, I was pulling onto the Mass Freeway from the NY and saw a couple of 1949s on the side of the road. I stopped to see if I could help, and they were just getting ready to start out again. You should attract enough attention that you shouldn't be without help of some kind for very long. Good luck and be safe.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Glaswegian

These guys in Boston might be worth checking on before the trip, for spares at least if passing through !

http://gatelyrestoration.com/

D.Smith

My advice is don't break down in Hartford.   I live here and I can't find a decent repair shop that will work on old cars.    The ones who say they do are crooks or incompetent.

pmhowe

"My advice is don't break down in Hartford."   This gave me a chuckle: When I was growing up in Massachusetts, the story was that, if there was an accident in Boston, people for two blocks around would lie down and claim their backs hurt. That was in the 1950s. Is it the same today?

TonyZappone #2624

In the NY Capital district, Albany, Schenectady Saratoga where I live there are some people who do work for me that are capable.  Contact me if in trouble.  Hopefully everything will be ok
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Cape Cod? Hey, that's where I live!

Hope you don't need them but we're blessed to have Hyannis Vintage Auto right in Hyannis. They're my mechanic and
body shop.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

colinlikens

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!   Because we have the Hagerty roadside assistance with 150-mile flatbed towing even a few recommendations greatly reduces the range of areas where we'll feel stuck without a good resource if something serious happens.

Also, I appreciate everyone's ideas about what to pack.  I'm happy to say that much of what was suggested is consistently in the car, and ever since a problem I had back in the summer of 2014 (the first summer we had the car) I always keep a shop manual and Fisher Body manual with me.

And as a happy coincidence, Hagerty just announced a livestream video this Tuesday at noon entitled "What to Check Under the Hood".   I'll be curious to see what they suggest.

https://livestream.com/Hagerty/events/8728908

Thanks again all!

Colin
1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

tripwire

Colin,
You didn't mention when you are planning on taking this trip but I might mention, here in Vermont, just south of Burlington in Waterbury, the Vermont Auto Enthusiasts are having their Annual Antique Car Show & Flea Market on the weekend of August 9, 10 & 11. Maybe you could stop in to look at the cars or even participate.  I'll be there with my '40 LaSalle & I would expect John Emerson to be there with his 1952 62 Series.  Also, there are several Cadillac owners at that show that I don't see here on the forum.  So, it might be a good spot to look for things you're missing or replacement parts should you need any.

Wes in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom