News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 Deville - Trunk Pull Down Cylinder Repair

Started by 69Deville, July 13, 2019, 05:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Deville

Are there any shops that you all are aware of that will repair the cylinder for the trunk pull down. All the other components work as intended except the cylinder.

Thanks!
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

chrisntam

How do you know the cylinder is not working?

Best way to test it is to take it out, place it in a vice vertically, (cylinder down) pull the cylinder down.  If it snaps back, it is no good, the seals have failed and there is no hydraulic fluid in it.  If it closes slowly, it is good.  Due to the spring inside the cylinder, it will resist being pulled.

You can't test is horizontally as the hydraulic fluid will leak out.  You'll note that when the cylinder is installed, it lives in a vertical position, you test it in the same position.

I found a place in Dallas to rebuild mine (they really only replace the seals and put hydraulic fluid back in), but I still can't get the trunk to pull down like it should, but the cylinder works as it should.  I had them do a 2nd one, it is sitting on my workbench.  I've yet to install the 2nd one that they resealed for me to see if that one is any different than the first.

They had to fabricate new seals, they have the specs now on the seals and now know how to do it, so resealing add'l cylinders is not a problem as they did the trial and error on the first one.

I think my issue at this point is adjustment of the closing mechanism.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Here's a link to one of my prior threads:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=155612.msg430376#msg430376

And the one where I got the cylinder resealed.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=155645.msg430592#msg430592
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

69Deville

Thank you for the thorough response Chris. Yes, if I test the cylinder as you describe, it will snap back. I can also see traces of old oil on the end of the cylinder so I am positive it is shot.

Can you share the contact info of the shop you used and what it set you back. Everything works perfectly on my Deville with the exception of the pull down so I'd love to get it working. Right now, it sounds like a guillotine when you push it down.  ;D

chrisntam

Here's a link to their site, it's not too far from my house.  Talk to Robert.  Let him know I referred you. 

https://www.hosefast.com/index.htm

My cost was $125.  I don't know if he's equipped to pack and send the repaired cylinder  back to you, if not, I can assist with that.

The only thing I see different is the cylinder itself is a bit shorter once it's reassembled.  The ends are in exactly the same place.  The cylinder is shorter because he has to cut it open and when done, he welds the end back on.  Cylinder is about 1/8" to 1/4" shorter.  I don't think that's an issue.

If you'd like, I can measure my repaired cylinder if you have any concerns.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

69Deville

Thanks Chris.

I'll give him a call tomorrow. I really appreciate your help!

Dave

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty