News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gee when I got this car new it only took $5.00 to fill it up...

Started by STS05lg, July 14, 2019, 06:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I don't doubt your word but I do distinctly recall getting my Social Security card at age 14 and riding my  new 1957 Vespa to King Sooper's supermarket to go to work where I earned .65 per hour, minimum wage. I could get two gallons of gas at .30 per for an hour's work and have a nickel left over.
        Today one can get $7.50 minimum wage and here in Indiana you can buy two gallons of gas for $5.50 ($2.75 per gallon) so you have $2.00 left over. Gas was more expensive when you paid $5 to fill it up then than it is now. Every other index has had the same natural progression, from I might add, from the beginning of our republic. Prices in the good old days are what they are now. Your hour's worth of work then is about what it is now, if not better.
        I put 10,000 miles on the Vespa in 1957 and today I am the custodian of a beautiful Vincent Black Shadow and I don't give a hoot how much it costs to fill it up.
I'll feel the same soon as I get my '37 LaSalle on the road with its 500" engine and  manual five speed overdrive.
          It's only money, not like it's something important.

jdemerson

I suspect Lynn's title was intended as tongue-in-cheek...
;)
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

STS05lg

Thanks John, I thought the  :) :) :) 's would denote the post was ment in jest. I was just thinking that 20 gallons at 25 cents would be approximately $5.00.  ;) ;) ;)

carlhungness

I too agree the comment was tongue in cheek and it's great to hear of us old
folks who remember when...