News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Generator for an A/C car

Started by Cadman-iac, March 30, 2020, 12:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

When I saw the posting by another person about a hose going to the generator it reminded me of one I had removed from my 55 parts car. It didn't have A/C, and I didn't know about the special end on the generator for the 58 to 60 or whatever years they did that on.
But after seeing the other post, I thought about all the generators I have, and looked for any with that end on it.
I forgot about this one as I had stashed it in the trunk of the car instead of on the shelf with the rest of them. I just happened to see it when I was looking for something else the other day.
My question is this, is this a rare piece? I'm guessing that the previous owner of this car got it from the parts store and never noticed that it had a different end on it. It fit, it worked, so why worry,  right?

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

62 driver

That looks like the generator part but the 90* elbe it the hard part to find.  They remake the bailing wire that hold the two together. 
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Cadman-iac

Quote from: 62 driver on March 30, 2020, 03:25:58 PM
That looks like the generator part but the 90* elbe it the hard part to find.  They remake the bailing wire that hold the two together.
Are you referring to the adapter that the hose connects to that then attaches to the generator? I'm sure it's not easy to find that piece.
I just wanted to know if this is actually the right generator for a Cadillac with A/C. I don't really need it, I just happened to have it on my parts car.
Thanks for the verification though.
You wouldn't know if there is supposed to be a Delco tag on it someplace would you?
I've looked it over for the two little holes where the screws or rivets go to hold the tag in place,  but if they're there, I can't find them.
I also looked for any numbers that were stamped into it for identification purposes and couldn't see anything like that either.
All my other generators have a tag on them, so I figured it should have it too.

Thanks again,

Rick
CLC# 32373

Dan LeBlanc

If it's lacking a tag or stamping on the case, it could be an aftermarket replacement using a new case and original ends.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Cadman-iac

Thanks Dan,
I had not thought about the case not being original, but that makes sense.
Something else I noticed about this one is how the front housing has a raised flange around the perimeter.  None of the other ones I have, have this flange on them. Is this something that is on an original 58 or 59 generator?
Or maybe this is one from another make altogether and it just happens to fit on a Cadillac.
Did any other manufacturer use a cooling hose on the generator that you know of?
I don't know if I should hang on to it as a Cadillac part,  or just scrap it for the copper and steel in it.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate the insight.

Rick
CLC# 32373

David King (kz78hy)

Here are some shots from my 60 Eldorado Brougham.  The correct Generator is on it and the elbow and hose was in the trunk.  The hose flange on the radiator support is still there also.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Cadman-iac

Thank you David,
I appreciate the pictures,  it definitely tells me that at least the rear housing is the correct part on mine.
One thing's for sure,  at least on your car,  it wasn't meant to be serviced very easily, was it? Talk about being buried!
Can you tell if yours has that extra tall flange on the front end housing like the one I have? I couldn't tell from what I could see in your pictures if yours has it or not.
I have double checked the other generators in my collection of parts, 11 others to be exact,  and none of them have that odd lip, or flange on them.
Thanks again for taking the time to get pictures.

Stay safe,
Rick
CLC# 32373