News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961-1964 Eldorado Convertible HARDTOP - who has one?

Started by Eldorado James, July 18, 2019, 11:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldorado James

The Cadillac Eldorado / DeVille / Series 62 convertible.....hardtop.  Yes...there was such a beast.  Apparently taking cues from the Corvette hardtops, a company called "Riviera" produced a small batch of fiberglass hardtops that fit on the GM full sized convertibles.  So instead of having your canvas top showing, you could pop-on (only 80 lbs) this formal-looking vinyl covered hardtop, lock it down, and go.  Interestingly enough, it has (my opinion) the feel of a 1959-64 Model 75 Limousine look to it, especially with the rear window size being smaller.  Very formal and crisp roofline.  Riviera was based in Salt Lake City, Utah....with the items (?) being made in Iowa.

I cannot find much information about these, let alone any pictures of them in use.   Does anybody have one and is willing to share pictures?  Or perhaps have any more info related to them?  They were sold as an accessory via the GM/Cadillac dealerships at the time.

I have one available in formal black...vinyl roof, in excellent shape considering that it's 56 years old.  Been stored for ages, well maintained.  Message me if you have an interest.

Regards,

EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Eldorado James

Found a few more pics and info....... :o :o :o  I'm liking to formalness on the Eldorado with the Sabre wheels (I think black vinyl would be a better choice for that car though)....   Thoughts?

EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I once had a 1947 Cadillac "hardtop" on a parts car. Unfortunately, it weighed way more than 80 lbs. and was badly rusted when I got it. Looked quite decent, though.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

D.Smith

They were sold under the LeMans name too.   One of them pops up on Ebay every other year or so.

Eldorado James

Great info Dave, thank you.  Do you think Riviera and LeMans were the same company selling the same product....or different companies selling the same product?  I notice the emblem on the side is different and not in the same location, but otherwise (externally) they look identical.  Pic attached of the Riviera label.

EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

wrench

I don’t think that lady with the poodle is helping lift that thing very much.

Interesting item.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to my eyes those roofs look awful on Cadillacs of this era. Would probably look at home on Lincolns but completely out of place on the light sleek body design of the 61-64 Cadillacs. Makes the car look like it's wearing a stovepipe hat. Blugh.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As I said the last "go-around", to be a "Cadillac approved" accessory, it'd have to fit LOTS better across the trunk. What kept it from leaking? (Both the black and the red cars show this gap between the top and the trunk upper sill.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Scot Minesinger

Agree with Eric, not good looking.  Why would anyone use that when a power convertible top was standard?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Fins

I wanted to reply to the very first post when I saw it. But I was taught that if you can't say something nice...

Look at that absolutely gorgeous 1959 Limousine.  8)  There is nothing else like it that elegantly states that you have arrived.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Davidrubin

Sitting in the back lot of Cadillac Parts and Restoration (CPR for your car) in Poughkeepsie, NY.   At least is was this past May.

Brown.Bob.Joe@gmail.com

Hello David,
I apologize for two emails.
I’m just learning the site. 
New here
Thank you
Bobby Brown
8054693531 mobile

76eldo

They are for winter use. Back when a 64 Cadillac convertible was a new car these were driven year round. A hardtop gives better sealing and temperature protection I. The winter.
Back in the teens and 20’s some wealthy folks had chauffeurs and custom bodied cars.
In the fall one of the chauffeurs jobs was to remove the summer open body and install the winter closed body.  Makes you wonder why they didn’t just have two cars but these body changes did occur. 

On my Allante, which I purchased last March, it came with a factory hardtop installed on it. The car was whisper quiet to drive with the hardtop on it. Personally I’ll always leave it off if the car and stored but once again when these were new they were driven year round and the hardtop on the car during the winter months is nice.

So if you have a 63-64 Cadillac convertible this would be a novel accessory to have if you have adequate storage space.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

rwchatham CLC 21892

Would make a nice display piece more than actually usable . Looks like they lack good sealing capabilities and can you imagine the paint damage that can occur with the weight of this thing . Would look cool hanging in a building to display though .
R. Waligora

76eldo

A novelty item item for sure.
I regularly drove a 1970 DeVille convertible as my only car all year round in Philly winters in the late 70’s. Then I moved up to a 76 Eldo convert.  None of these cars leaked in rain and snow.  Had a 68 Skylark convertible too as a daily driver in the 80’s. A few Caddy’s too. I always have kept new or nearly new tips on my cars.
In 1990 I bought an 85 Eldo Biarritz Convertible and the side rails of the top used to fill up with water and drip in. If I made a left turn I got a lap full of water.
I ended up filling up empty spaces with black silicone caulk and that stoped the water.

Would have been cool if ASC turned the cut off tops into hardtops.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS