News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Rochester 4gc idle bypass big screw specs

Started by paulkersey, July 19, 2019, 12:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulkersey

Hello,

My Rochester 4GC  Instruction Sheet (on left pic) shows Idle by-pass screw: 2 turns out.
My rebuilt carb will not idle, just dies. mixture screws 1-1/4 out.

1959 Shop manual 10-69 shows Idle by-pass screw: 3-4 turns out.

next try will be at : Idle by-pass screw 3 out and starting with idle screws 1-1/2 out.

Just checking to see what  4gc owners are setting  big screw since i have different spec. sources
J. Wicks # 19583

dplotkin

The big screw adjusts to get the highest possible manifold vacuum with the smoothest possible idle, you use a vacuum gauge while adjusting, it is not necessarily a prescribed number of turns.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

1959Fleetwood

Hello,

I've rebuild many carburetors including the Rochester 4GC. When adjusting i always go by the shopmanual specs because the sheet that comes with a rebuild kit is not specific enough for Cadillac.
Turn the by-pass screw 3 to 4 turns out and the mixture screws 2,5 turns out to start with. When the engine is running you can use a vacuum gauge or a smog tester to adjust further after reaching normal operating temperature and choke off. Most of the times it's just listening to the sound of the engine when adjusting ( rough or smooth idle ). Keep in mind that these engines need something to drink to operate well so don't go to lean while adjusting.
Matern Harmsel
CLC 15331
Matern Harmsel
CLC # 15331

1941 Cadillac series 6227D
1953 Cadillac series 6237
1959 Cadillac series 6029
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino

paulkersey

Thanks all.
I will get a vacuum gauge and go forward.
I saw the shop manual air by-pass screw specs differed than the 4GC manufacturer specs a little too late and broke in the car big screw 2 turns out. Maybe that is why it would not idle.
J. Wicks # 19583

paulkersey

Dwell steady around 30. timing very near 5.
I will check it again once I can get it to idle down OK.
If not it will be another two-person job.
J. Wicks # 19583