News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955CDV hydravac brake booster question

Started by TIMWAR, July 20, 2019, 09:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TIMWAR

Good morning Forum....
I am rebuilding my 1955 Hydrovac power brake assembly. I have encountered something unusual.
While disassembling the hydraulic cylinder/piston assembly,  I've noticed there seems to be a discrepancy regarding the components inside and closest to the vacuum piston shaft seal. Two things  are apparent ....
1. The stop washer, cup and retainer did not come out in the same order that is shown on the
     exploded view.
2. There is a spring between the stop washer and the retainer that is not shown in the exploded view
     nor is it mentioned in the text. ( during disassembly or assembly)
Also...when I look into the bore expecting to see the seal that gets punched out with a drift...i see what appears to be a fibrous washer, dark brown in color,  that is not mentioned in the text
Note: this unit has been rebuilt before.
I have posted a video on YouTube that explains it more clearly. You will see what I've run into at about 19 minutes in.
Https://youtu.be/1mmTRU2UfEU
Has anyone run into this ? Can anyone advise ?

TIMWAR

I mentioned that the unit has been rebuilt before so my first thought was that it was reassembled incorrectly regarding the order sequence of components however the more I think about it the more it seems to make sense that the way I found it is the way I should put it back together  which I am leaning towards doing at this point.
I may have to depend on trial and error meaning I'll put it back the way I found it with the expectation of doing it a second time if it does not work properly

Dave Shepherd

Why are you doing this was there a problem?

TIMWAR

Dave..This car has been sitting for about 25 years. I’m going through the brakes, rebuilding or replacing everything including all the lines. The master cylinder was dry and stuck. The hydrovac booster was full of a sticky, almost rubbery substance on the vacuum side along with the remnants of grease and fluid in the vacuum shell.
Update...
Today, after I posted my question, I took the unit outside in the sun to look at the fibrous looking washer that was blocking the view of the seal and realized that I could knock it out with a drift from the seal side. Then I could easily flip it over and knock the seal out. Which I did.
I still seem to have an extra steel (beveled) stop washer and spring that is not on the exploded view ...but since I got the seal out I’m not so concerned now.
I’m just gonna put it back together the way it came apart.