News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Generator regulator voltage question

Started by z3skybolt, July 20, 2019, 02:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

Please bear with the uninformed,

O.K.  After about 6,000 miles the voltage regulator went out on my LaSalle.  I purchased a NOS 1118302 Delco Remy regulator just like the original.

Now it charges....but the amp meter indications are somewhat different from the prior regulator.  For example in the past after starting the engine with a fully charged battery the amp meter would show a positive indication aboout 50% toward full charge.  As the battery would fully charge the needle would work back toward the middle and remain there flucuating according to idle or cruise rmp. All perfectly normal.

With the new regulator, after starting with a fully charged battery, the amp meter needle goes to full scale positive, remains there for a 7 or 8 minutes then works it's way back toward the middle reading. Also the amp meter shows a POSITIVE FLOW even at idle which it never did before, although at idle the needle only reads 1/2 way toward the positive.  The amp meter will even indicate a positive flow with the HEADLIGHTS on and a slightly fast idle. 

In an attempt to find out what is happening to the battery I conducted this test today.

First of all my batteries are two OPTIMA RED TOP 6 volt wired to double the cranking duration.  Positive ground.  They are one year old and in excellent condition.

1. I attached a volt meter to my battery fully charged.... beginning with a battery voltage of 6.6 volts no load.

2. I then started the car and ran the engine at a FAST idle. The amp meter deflected to a full positive/charge indication.  The volt meter showed voltage of nearlly 9.00 volts.  After maybe five minutes the amp meter indication dropped down to a positive indication about half way to the right....the voltmeter showed a steady 8.50 positive charge.

(a)  The voltmeter would continue to indicate steady 8.50 volts even with the headlights on...and the amp meter needle would jump more toward the full positive deflection.

3. I turned the headlighs off and let it run...no load... for 10 minutes.  The amp meter needle slowely moved more toward the middle showing a modest positive indication but the volt meter continued to indicate a steady 8.50. NO LOAD on the electrical system.

4. After 10 minutes I shut the engine off. The volt meter showed 8.50 v but began a slow steady decrease finally leveling off at 6.70v after about 20 minutes. No load on the battery.

Does all that sound normal?  I know that these regulators can be adjusted.

1. Is it normal to "charge" at a rate of 8.50 to 9.00 volts and then stabilize at 8.50 volts?  If so I have no further concern..

2. Is it possible the the NOS voltage regulator is adjusted too high?

3.  Is there any harm in this high rate of positive charge?  I assume that is the reason why my amp meter shows a full positive indication whereas, with the old regulator the amp meter indicated about 1/2 that much positive needle deflection.

4.  Is there a chance of harming my BATTERIES or GENERATOR if the regulator continues to allow a high rate of 8.50 volts indefinately, such as while driving?

5.  What is the technique for checking the voltage regulator setting other than observing the voltage the generator is pumping into the battery. Or are all my concepts INVALID??

Thanks to everyone,

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

bcroe

Do check your wiring, that the voltage seen by the regulator is the same
as seen by the battery.  I would not expect more than 7.5V charging, I
think your reg needs some adjustment (see the book).  Bruce Roe

Bobby B

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

z3skybolt

Well thanks guys,

I hate for future readers to have to wade through my long posting but I will leave it here so that other dummies can help themselves.

After posting I went on the internet and found DELCO REMY  Bulletin 1R-116.   Read it over: learned how to test the regulator, determine the cause and adjust the voltage. Sure enough my new regulator was set for 9.00 volts. I adjusted it downward as directed in the bulletin.  Presto.....she charges at 7.40 volts until full recovery....settled at about 6.8 volts and stablized.

All indications amp meter readings and battery voltage are as before my old regulator failed. I came back in to delete my posting but Bruce and Bobby had already responded.    Bobby B. you may get tired of holding my hand. I should have done a bit more self help research before posting. But thanks anyway.

The Bulletin should be helpful for any novice who is having charging issues.

Thanks,

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Bobby B

Quote from: z3skybolt on July 20, 2019, 07:45:24 PM
    Bobby B. you may get tired of holding my hand. I should have done a bit more self help research before posting. But thanks anyway.

Bob,
Hi. I never get tired of helping anyone out if I can be of any service. It's one more thing you learned how to do. The internet can be quite helpful when it comes to research. Hope you're continuing to enjoy your car!
                                                                           Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH