News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Cadillac Eldorado has engine knock.

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, July 22, 2019, 10:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The widow of a good friend is wanting to get her husband's 1955 Eldorado repaired. It runs, but has a knock that gets worse as the car warms up. She is looking for a mechanic in central IN. My own guy is very good, but I'd like a "possible" cause before I go to him and see about hauling the thing halfway across the state.  (He is quite talented, but has the personality of...Well, he always has a blank scowl on his face, so you don't know what he's thinking.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

35-709

If she's really lucky, it could be carbon knock, saw a fair amount of that back in the day.  GM used to make a solvent for that, poured down the carb, today I believe you would use a Seafoam product.  After that, good likelihood she is looking at an engine overhaul. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I wrote her to try that first. Thanks. She also has a 1954 CDV, a 1959 convertible and '81 and '91 Fleetwoods. So she's somewhat familiar with the cars. (All"done" except the 1955.) They sold the '53 Eldo.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

bullet bob

I had a knock in my '53, turned out to be a vacuum leak.....
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"