News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1972 Exhaust Manifold leak

Started by gkhashem, July 19, 2019, 11:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkhashem

I have run across a very nice 1972 Coupe DeVille that the seller states has a slight exhaust manifold leak. How problematic is the removal of these bolts. The car has 43000 miles..
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

TJ Hopland

You never know for sure but more often than not they don't come out easy.   Questions I would be asking is are there any broken bolts now?  And are there gaskets installed now?   These didn't come from the factory with gaskets so if there are gaskets that means its been apart before.   Being apart is good from the standpoint that it means those bolts have been out at least once in its lifetime but also begs the question why was it apart with fairly low miles. 

Is this an Eldo?  For some reason the Eldo's its pretty common to have cracks. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gkhashem

It’s a CDV actually a very nice looking car looks mint
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

chrisntam

We want to see a nice looking mint '72 CDV, post a link!

You have too many cars already!   ;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

gkhashem

That's part of the game I have the first crack at it I think.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

hornetball

Driver's side cracks are common because of the heat stove.  The manifold is reproduced and readily available (I got one from Rock Auto).  MaR and I are both working on 1974 Eldos.  I had no issue getting my bolts out.  MaR had numerous bolts break.  So . . . you really don't know.  Worst comes to worst, you're pulling heads and inspecting your camshaft and timing chain -- which you probably need to do anyway.

When you put it back together, use some of that copper anti-seize on the bolts for the next guy.

chrisntam

Quote from: hornetball on July 19, 2019, 08:43:25 PM
snip...

Worst comes to worst, you're pulling heads and inspecting your camshaft and timing chain -- which you probably need to do anyway.

My dad always called that "creeping elegance", when the job went beyond the initial scope of work.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

INTMD8

On this engine in particular, I don't know.

In general however I have had excellent results removing broken manifold bolts from pretty much everything by holding a nut over the broken stud and filling the void with mig weld.

You now have the hex of the nut to wrench on and the heat put into the broken bolt helps when loosening.

Big Fins

I would spray the offending side with PB Blaster, for a few days just letting it soak in. I got the manifold bolts out of my '59 this way. They were frozen in place. After about a week of spraying them twice a day, they walked right out. Same with the tiny brake line connections on my current Eldorado. Granted they weren't rusty, but 43 years under a car can't be great.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

hornetball

Quote from: chrisntam on July 19, 2019, 09:50:54 PM
My dad always called that "creeping elegance", when the job went beyond the initial scope of work.

I like that.  I'll have to remember that the next time a 1 hour job turns into a 2 week journey.  :D

Scot Minesinger

Reality is that you should replace the timing chain because it is nylon coated aluminum cam sprocket.  It is very difficult to remove the manifold without breaking a bolt. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Fins

Firstly, if a bolt is so stuck that it's going to break no matter what you do, why not go the cheapest/easiest route first. After soaking in a penetrating solution, they might just all come out with ease. Won't you be smiling from ear to ear. If you really want to see the dark side, go in there and try to break them loose like you only have a few hours to get the whole job done. They are either going to come right out or be a total nightmare job. Your call.

If you are that concerned about the chain and sprockets, pull the dizzy, rent or borrow a bore scope and take peek inside. I changed out a 35k mile chain and sprocket assembly that looked brand new, because I was always reading the dark side here. The plus side is, I know it's done with far more superior parts than originally equipped and I hung a new water pump while it was all down.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

chrisntam

Tell the guy you want to buy the car, but the price is dependent on if the bolts break. 

If they come loose, give him the asking price. 

If they break, deduct $1000.

A little tip from your good buddy Chris.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Glen

Removing stuck bolts is a tedious task and must be done carefully.  Many people make the mistake of just trying to muscle it out.  That is the worst thing you can do.  As others have said first soak it with a penetrating oil.  Forget WD40.  The best is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. 
After it has soaked for a couple of days try to remove the bolt. If the bolt moves even just a little bit it will come out in one piece if you don’t rush it.  You still have a ways to go. 
At this point you have to alternately tighten and loosen the bolt. Each cycle the amount of movement will grow.  Keep adding penetrating oil.  Eventually the bolt will come out.
I have spent as much as a month with this process with the soaking taking the majority of the time. 
No pipes on the handle of the wrench. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

But, how does one get the penetrating substance to travel up the shaft of the bolt and into the thread, as these Manifold bolts are actually pointing downwards?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

The rust particle will 'wick' the solution right into the threaded hole. But note...most, if not all are stuck within the manifold itself, not the threaded hole. The shoulders of the bolts are incompatible with the cast iron of the manifold.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Scot Minesinger

Another way to remove the bolt is remove all exhaust manifold bolts that will come out and try the soaking and all on the ones that will not.  Failing that, grind off the heads of each bolt and remove the manifold.  Now with manifold removed you can really get in there and soak the threads good and use a stud remover or small pipe wrench to get the remainder of the bolts out.  I find a glancing blow, is better at breaking free stuck fasteners than stead torque, which often make the fastener fail.  With wrench/stud remover in position, hit it with a small sledge (rehearse the stroke and don't wimp out), and the fastener will not break, but it should come loose.  Then of course the ground head manifold bolts can be replaced inexpensively.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas