News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Source For 48 Starter and Solenoid parts ?

Started by Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225, July 22, 2019, 10:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

I am really having a hard time finding a source for parts of any kind for my original 6 Volt starter and Solenoid. The solenoid is the real problem. I found a really pricey rebuilt one on ebay but I would rather rebuild my own. Or maybe someone can suggest a good alternative that would work on my starter.   Thanks,   bill
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;
1948 series 62 Club Coupe / 346 L head / Rendon Blue
1954 series 62 Sport Coupe / 331 V8 / Aztec Red
1970 Deville Rag Top / 472 V8 / Nottingham Green

Previous Caddies ;

1969 Fleetwood Eldorado / 472 V8 / Wisteria
1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If the contacts are still solid (don't wiggle), you can carefully remove the round brass doody and reverse it after polishing it to get rid of the corrosion. I think that's about all you need do for the solenoid except for cleaning it. The main thing to be careful of is the "plastic" appearing part that gets brittle and breaks. (I can't remember what the material is called.) Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Thanks for the tip Barry, I will give everything a good cleaning. One of the lugs twisted and shorted out on the case possibly burning out the 6V coil that pulls in the contacts. Also, the plastic thing that you referred to that is kinda like bakelite that acts as an insulator for the lugs broke on one side. I will try to find something to insulate the lug from the coil bracket. 
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;
1948 series 62 Club Coupe / 346 L head / Rendon Blue
1954 series 62 Sport Coupe / 331 V8 / Aztec Red
1970 Deville Rag Top / 472 V8 / Nottingham Green

Previous Caddies ;

1969 Fleetwood Eldorado / 472 V8 / Wisteria
1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bill,
I can help. Watch for a email later today.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.