News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac on social media

Started by Glaswegian, July 24, 2019, 04:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glaswegian

I've no idea how many folk here use social media such as facebook, twitter, Instagram?

Some of it can be very useful for information, making contacts and as I've just discovered buying Cadillacs.

I have no facebook account, but have twitter and Instagram.

This link on Instagram seems to list cars I've not seen for sale elsewhere so may be useful to some members who have it and are looking to buy, or just like looking 8)

I have no affiliation, just FYI, but if you do have Instagram worth a follow. I can see it via laptop, so not just a phone app.

I follow it, so now see cars pop up all the time, seems to be from different private owners and the page just gives phone numbers for the sellers along with some pics and price.

https://www.instagram.com/cadillacsales/

Have a good day everyone  ;)

chrisntam

I think this is what Laurie was trying to tell us. These days, there are more options to find Cadillacs other than this forum.

As a side note, Cape Cod had a tornado yesterday, she, her house and the car are fine.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Yes, her post essentially stated, here is a video of a car show - enjoy.  And somehow it unfortunately developed into a very ugly discussion that got deleted by the moderators.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I really believe that the upshot of Laurie's last posting
was blown totally out of proportion.  She loved the Club
and has made many friends, myself included, however
she does not intend to return to posting here.  She plans
to use the CLC Facebook page to update her status.

I for one (and I'm sure I'm not the only person) loved her
stories of her "cadillac exploits".  She had a way of story
telling that was very entertaining.

You can follow her now on the CLC Club's Face Book
Page.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Glaswegian

Reading the comments makes me sad, I originally said on that deleted thread I had no facebook so could not see the video she posted. It was not meant in a bad way just, it's a shame type way, as I would like to have seen it.

I would not have gone to the bother of opening a facebook account then having to become a friend etc just to see it, youtube would have worked for everyone. No idea why it went sideways ? more about the show itself comments methinks? I only saw a few comments after my initial one as I'm on a different time zone.

Anyhoo, would like her to come back on the site as I liked to hear the stories and issues she had with her car.  ;)

russ austin

The censorship in here is driving people away. The reality is facebook, and it has closed down other chat rooms due to starvation.
Facebook is easy to use with your smartphone. Heck, now it is just called a phone. Times have changed.
R.Austin

D.Smith

Quote from: russ austin on July 25, 2019, 07:26:46 AM
The censorship in here is driving people away. The reality is facebook, and it has closed down other chat rooms due to starvation.
Facebook is easy to use with your smartphone. Heck, now it is just called a phone. Times have changed.

Agreed.   Facebook has opened up a whole new world to car collectors and connected them.   Plus you can give real feedback on vendors.

The only downside are the trolls who hide behind keyboards and will bash your car without a second thought.   I've seen people post pics of their pride and joy and someone will post "That's the ugliest color ever put on a car." or something rude like that.

On the other hand I am not posting my 61 for sale on the CLC board because I have observed here that everyones own car is worth Hagerty valuation money but anyone elses for sale is worth less than wholesale and they will pick it apart like Piranha's .

signart

Quote from: D.Smith on July 25, 2019, 08:20:06 AM
Agreed.   Facebook has opened up a whole new world to car collectors and connected them.   Plus you can give real feedback on vendors.

The only downside are the trolls who hide behind keyboards and will bash your car without a second thought.   I've seen people post pics of their pride and joy and someone will post "That's the ugliest color ever put on a car." or something rude like that.

On the other hand I am not posting my 61 for sale on the CLC board because I have observed here that everyones own car is worth Hagerty valuation money but anyone elses for sale is worth less than wholesale and they will pick it apart like Piranha's .

As to the last paragraph, this is why I would advocate that the For Sale category should have no provision for comments. If a buyer is interested they can contact the seller and discuss away. The forum is missing out on a opportunity to buy and sell a lot of parts and cars because of the reasons outlined above. There is no reason for uninterested parties to give their evaluation of a posters listing.

This policy works well for a m/c forum that I participate on.
Art D. Woody

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Each platform has its strengths.

For the most accurate information on matters of authenticity and technical issues, few Cadillac groups on Facebook can hold a candle to the CLC forum.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Young

I think monitoring this forum is important. I would caution of being possibly too rigid in censoring discussions , it can have an off putting effect .

hornetball

I was wondering where my fellow USN vet had gone.  Too bad, she was fun.

Dan LeBlanc

Everyone,

We as moderators are only acting on the directives set to us by the board.  They come up with the rules.  We're just the folks in the trenches doing the day to day stuff. 

If people are displeased with the rules, by all means, express your concern to your local board member to bring it forth to the national meeting for discussion and follow up with them to see what the outcome was. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

STS05lg

Ok guys, what did some one say to Laurie? You know we have a significant shortage of members under 60 and contrary to what you may have heard the club needs the enthusiasm for the brand from new members that are not driving down the in ramp of a underground permanent parking garage....
I for one enjoy Laurie's astute and insightful observations and commentary. The woman sometimes speaks with the directness of an AR-15 and that is not always a bad thing.
So what did someone say to run her off???? Hope she gives you all a third or fourth chance. Anyway how are we going to find out the status of the Ark....Lynn

35-709

"Anyway how are we going to find out the status of the Ark....Lynn"

:)  Join Facebook.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Big Fins

I barely have time to read all that is here, let alone another type of forum.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

hornetball

Quote from: 35-709 on July 25, 2019, 04:20:49 PM
"Anyway how are we going to find out the status of the Ark....Lynn"

:)  Join Facebook.

You need to get "friended" as well I think.

David Greenburg

The trolls and keyboard warriors are here as well as on FB.  If you can’t handle misguided personal attacks from ignoramuses, you pretty much need to stay off the internet. FB has its place, and I will admit to spending more time than I should there, but i do not take it very seriously for car info, or much else. Also, for anyone not on FB and thinking about it, bear in mind that pretty much any information you share is being monetized by someone, and that FB is in the business of facilitating that.  The issues with financial scams, privacy,  political manipulation etc. are just collateral damage to the powers that be at FB. I am far more comfortable entering into financial transactions for Cadillac parts, as well as trusting advice, from members here than I would be with someone I “met” on FB, where there is zero accountability, and it is easy to have a false identity.  You don’t even have to be human; I know numerous animals with FB pages.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

z3skybolt

Don't worry guys,

She is over on Facebook warning about all the  quote:"dinosaurs" in the CLC.  Unfortunately their isn't much action on that Facebook page.. She will be back......

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

chrisntam

Quote from: David Greenburg on July 25, 2019, 06:20:45 PM
snip...

You don’t even have to be human; I know numerous animals with FB pages.

Everyone knows an animal's paws are too big for a keyboard!

;)

As far as the Laurie thing, she enthusiastically noted that she posted a video of her attendance of a recent car show on her FB page, some here were somewhat disappointed the video wasn't posted here. 

She suggested (in so many words) that folks here should broaden their electronic outlook beyond the CLC forum.  Others suggested back to her (in so many words) a thumbs down.

That's the "kind" version.

She checked out after that.

For the record, I have a FB page, I don't visit very often, but it allows me a look "outside" if I desire.  I saw her video, she'd be fun to shoot the breeze with at the Brougham Bar on Friday night at the GN.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

David Greenburg

Chris- Some animals have pretty small paws. I know at least one hedgehog on FB.  And the tech-savvy pet doesn’t need a keyboard. A lot can be done just by voice!  😀
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special