News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Proper tires for a ‘72 Eldo convertible?

Started by TexasEldo, July 26, 2019, 07:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasEldo

Did the ‘72 Eldorados come fitted with white walls? If so, can someone tell me what would be a good replacement tire?

I’ve found Coker tires online. Not sure if anyone else sells an option.
C Cleveland

hornetball

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Cadillac/1972_Cadillac_VVI.pdf

Look at page 13.  Whitewalls were optional and were of the dual-stripe variety.  Only bias-plies available from the factory for this year.  L78-15 Load Range B.

For a radial replacement, you'll be looking for a 235-75R15 tire.  There are a few companies that still make them.  If you don't want to mail-order (is this still a term?), Discount Tire had a couple of choices last time I checked.

TJ Hopland

Ya it depends on how much you are willing to spend to get as close to original as possible.   That can end up being a lot for a tire that will most likely die of old age rather than miles.  If you are in a more rural area or work with a smaller independent shop check with them, they may be able to get a narrow whitewall in a store brand.             

You will want to pick up a new set of valve stems.   These are unique to these cars and often can't be found locally.   Specialty vendors have them.   Someone I think posted the Napa part number recently.  It usually doesn't come up searching by the car on their site for some reason.

Another note is the clip on wheel weights had a special extension on the clip to leave room for the hubcaps to fit.  Its another item that usually can't be found locally.  It was called CAX you can order them online, usually the large ones and have the shop cut them down as needed.    In theory modern tape weights would work too if they place them as close to the outside as they can get.   Using only inside clip on weights has never worked for me.   These cars seem to be extremely sensitive to the wheel balance so you need every advantage you can get. 

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason