News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Door Panel Removal

Started by TC, July 26, 2019, 01:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TC

Anyone removed a door panel on an 85 CDV?

I removed the screws around the door pull and inside release handle. Usual push in plugs at  the bottom but I see no screws holding the switch plate or courtesy lights which often is where holding screws are found behind.

Cadillac Fleetwood

Tom,

The armrest assembly, including the switch plate and the courtesy lights, conceal several screws. Proceed as follows:

The red warning light at the rear of the armrest must be removed. Carefully pry out the red lens. The lamp is retained with a sort of squeeze clip at the top and bottom, which is integral with the plastic lamp assembly. Once removed, you will have access to one of the screws. Do this gently, as the "plastichrome" often becomes brittle from the heat of the lamps, and may break.

The white courtesy lamp on the underside of the armrest must be removed, same as the red one above. You will have access to another screw.

The switch plate is held into the armrest with a metal spring clip.  The clip is compressed for removal by inserting a flat-blade screw driver under either the front edge or the rear edge of the plate, depending upon if the door panel is the driver's side or passenger side.  If memory serves, the one on the driver's side is at the rear, and the one on the passenger side is at the front.  Moving the switch plate aside will expose two or three Phillips-head screws along the upper edge of the opening.  Then, below the switch plate, there will be a small screw, also black, holding the door panel to a support bracket welded to the door.

The door panel and armrest can then be removed from the car.  The armrest can be removed from the panel, on the bench, from the back side of the panel.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

TJ Hopland

Is this the RWD or FWD version?   I believe both were available in 85 although maybe no the coupe version. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TC

TJ, thanks for the response, I thought the CDV in 85 were all FWD. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Tom, thank you for the detailed and accurate instructions. I've removed MANY door panels and assumed that was where the access was but wanted to double check. Considering how brittle things get as you mentioned, this is a real original 53k mile garaged car I just didn't want to start poking, pulling and breaking things. 

Good day yesterday, fixed the power seat, passenger window motor and serviced the A/C. Need a power antenna and will post asking for a suggestion.