News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

tires

Started by Jfiske, July 30, 2019, 05:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfiske

I recently purchased a 1941 series 62.  It has its original tires - the vehicle has only 10,000 miles on it. I need to get new tires to drive on.  I was advised to store the original tires on their wheels.. and buy both new wheels and tires for driving...because the originals are valuable..instead of removing the original tires and using the original wheels. any advice on the value, where to get wheels, tires?

Tom Boehm

I suppose if you take the original tires off the original wheels you will have to let the original air out. 
Seriously though, according to the parts book the following Cadillacs used the same wheels as your 41-62.
41-60S,61,62,63 except commercial chassis,  42-60S, 61,62,63    46-60S,61,62   47-60S, 61,62
Put a want to buy post on this forum or in the Self Starter or in Hemmings. Look on E Bay. There is somebody out there modifying or street rodding one of these cars who is willing to sell the wheels. My guess as to what you should pay??  maybe $200 for the set.

Post some pictures and some more information about your car. Many on this forum will be interested in seeing an original car.

chrisntam

I would think that having the original tires on original wheels would be a plus, when showing the car.

Problem is when showing the car, you'll have to remove the driver wheels and install the originals.  You'll also have to store them and lug them around, assuming you've got room for storing and lugging.  And you'll need a floor jack.  And time to do it.

There may be replacement tires that look the same as originals that you can both drive on and show.

Iffin it were me (and I have the room), I'd buy a 2nd set of wheels and buy reproduction tires to both drive the car and show the car.  Put the originals in the corner for the next steward of the car when you're done with it.

Would love to see some pics!

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Abe Lugo

Either look for rims on eBay or try like Bob Hoffman or a local seller of Classic Cadillac parts.  Beware that “wanted ads” have become a nesting ground for scammers. That is on all forums in general.
I would recommend scouring Craigslist ads for people parting out the same era 41-47 Cadillacs and see if they have a set of wheels to sell. It your post your location it would help everyone.
As for tires.  I would would go with Coker Tire.  They’ll most like have the right size for the car.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

chrisntam

Quote from: Abe Lugo on July 31, 2019, 03:09:22 AM
snip...
It your post your location it would help everyone.
snip...

Agreed, but what is your location?

I wish everyone would put their location in their signature line!

I'm in Dallas.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

harry s

Jerry, Congratulations on such a nice find. Love to see pictures of your car. I have a really nice set of wheels with no rust only need to be painted or powder coated. I am in the DC area. Email is hscott1937@aol.com.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Big Fins

Whoever balanced your tire that were on those rims Harry, didn't know a thing about balancing a tire properly. Especially that top right with the weights opposing each other.  ::)
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille