News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac (and other 472/500 years) where are you buying engine parts?

Started by Scot Minesinger, July 31, 2019, 01:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

I have purchased from MTS in CA and normally dealt with Marty before he passed away.  What other competing vendors are there that you can count on?  Quality of the part is first priority, service is second priority and price is third. 

Looking for stock intake manifold that is machined internally for more torque, parts for valve jobs and etc.

Looks like I'm dealing with a RWD 1975 or 1976 Cadillac 500 engine.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

That may be a good question.  Marty was the man.   Back when he was still around I would have gladly paid double just because I knew he was going to deliver what I wanted not to mention just ordering one bolt was often good for about a half hour conversation if there wasn't anything else pressing going on.  Marty was one of those guys that had done it all so there was always something to chat about.   From what I have heard it sounds like that operation has scaled up and maybe diversified a bit so its not what it used to be.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott
There is essentially no increase in bottom end torque by hogging out a stock intake. In fact besides diminishing the ability to aerosolize fuel at low engine speeds, the result is just about immeasurable.
You are working with a stock large chamber motor. The most bang for the buck would be an MTS #5 cam and a PROFESSIONALLY built QJ tuned to the cam and motor specs.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

DeVille68

I bought parts from both MTS (cadillac high performance) and CadCompany. Also my engine rebuilder organized parts from SealedPower. I also bought parts through parts supplier from Mahle, FelPro, CompCams, Egge. Lots of good parts around.
Yesterday I bough longer pushrods, only MTS or CadCompany had the correct length. So I bough them from CadCompany. Advantage is that you know its going to fit and you don't have to search for too long.

I would say the "standard" parts can be sourced from Rockauto, Jegs, Summit but the special stuff (like camshaft, pushrods) are better bought at the two companies (cadillac high performance and CadCompany)

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Scot Minesinger

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

bcroe

Quote from: Scot Minesinger
Looking for stock intake manifold that is machined internally for more torque, parts for valve jobs and etc.
Looks like I'm dealing with a RWD 1975 or 1976 Cadillac 500 engine.

You could have immediate results, save some gas, and some other benefits
by converting your TH400 to electronically controlled switch pitch.  It
took a whole second off the 0-60 on my stock 77, YRMV. 
Bruce Roe

hornetball

Quote from: 6262 on August 01, 2019, 06:52:36 AM
Is this the CadCompany?

cad500parts.com

Yes.  I've bought from them.  They are responsive and the parts were good.

Scot Minesinger

In 2014 I had a bad #7 intake valve and the passenger head had to be removed for repairs, so of course so did the intake manifold.  I replaced it with an MTS stock looking unit that was "hogged out", material removed internally.  I read that a better intake manifold improved performance.  Everyone on this forum says no it will not.  This car does run better with it.  However, the original intake manifold removed was not sealed properly and the one I installed of course was sealed properly, so it is not a precise controlled experiment.  I probably will not use anything but a stock manifold on this project.

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

hornetball

Scot, I would say with the typical usage of our Cadillacs, low-RPM torque makes the most difference.  That's where a QJ really shines with its small, responsive primaries.  A small passage IM also contributes to this responsiveness.

There are many other users of these big Cadillac engines.  Drag racers.  Air boats.  Maybe some tow.  In all of those cases, the target changes to mid-RPM HP.  That, I think, is the intent of the aftermarket large-passage IM.

I believe OEM is the right choice for a low-RPM cruiser.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-