News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why the club will die without people like fleetwood laurie

Started by wrefakis, July 31, 2019, 02:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrefakis

sorry fans, the hobby needs more Fleetwood Laurie to survive.
Why ??
1- the have over the top energy and enthusiasm
2-they participate in shows, answer questions
3-they invest $$ in their cars
4-they share with new potential members and potential Cadillac fan
5-Facebook ? ( parenthetic aside I HATE ALL SOCIAL MEDIA) that said, I use Facebook to communicate with my car buddies all over the world, and my page is only cars, not a single word or photo about myself.

guys like me contribute nothing to club, have you ever seen one of my cars?
made one comment here about originality item on 70 cadi, and since I judged my first one in September 1969, I might know what I am talking about, and was attacked as though I had cussed some ones child

Last it takes more than tire kicker national prep, and other well intended but meaningless banter to keep the CLC alive

59-in-pieces

Stop the presses.
Is it a cold day in Hell,
Are pigs flying.

This is one of those rare occasions when I can truly say - Bill is Right! - OMG.

Shunning Fleetwood Laurie or banning her or censoring her way with the words ( what ever you did) - WAS WRONG - temperance kids, temperance.

She has twice the spunk and energy of any two guys I know here, and brings a "new age" although she is not that new (excuse me for saying so KKBTS) - to the kind of membership which just might energize the sluggishness, and bolster the ranks.

In my not so HO.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I don't know how we keep this alive. The problems that I see are that you have the Facebook people (I am the same as above. Only cars and airplanes for me. No pictures posted and  nothing about what I ate for breakfast). Social media is all free. There isn't the wealth of knowledge that there is here. In some ways it does more harm than good because people who have no idea what they are talking about are giving advice. But, that is the accepted media now a days-Forums are old school. Also Facebook is free. I don't mind paying my dues here and I love the magazine but why pay for the cow when you can get the milk for free?
The youth of today doesn't want to take the time to learn anything by doing. They just want to know the answer right now.
Youth of today is also all about computers, not machinery. What do you mean vacuum adjusts your climate control?? Doesn't the computer do that? My kids have gone to 2 different high schools and neither one of them had a shop class.  We, myself included, also are not very welcoming to those who want to modify their cars. Just look at how the judging is and how some poor new guy is blown up because he wants to put an Edelbrock on (because some Yahoo on Facebook told him to) and now it won't run.
We are a pretty close group of people who have at least adjusted points once or twice. I hope this group never goes away.
Please don't misunderstand me. This is not in any way a criticism of this group. Just how I see things. Not saying this to tick anyone off. Just saying it because hopefully someone smarter than me can come up with a way to fix it.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jay Friedman

What is this thread all about?  Someone must have been censored about something, right?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bill Young

I agree with Bill R. also on this. As I have stated before we all need to be a little more accepting of differences.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I respect your views Bill, Steve and Bill but being branded a misogynist without good reason has no place here and is inexcusable. Whatever shred of respect I still had for the individual in question has now gone out the window.

I'm glad you find the individual's attitude and intemperate remarks - whether here or on FB - entertaining and serving the best interests of the CLC. I do not.

I've spoken my piece.

Eric DeVirgilis.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

wrefakis

Not the remarks and by the way I do not even know what was said, my only point is people who really dig in, show cars and spend $ will keep the Club and hobby going.

you know me face to face, I am sure you know from dealing with me that I am anything but a loudmouth, quite the reverse, and I have always found you to be a stand up guy as well.

heck you bought me a Biarritz!

but the cooks give the place atmosphere

Bill Young

Eric , I did not know that was said to you. I had not seen that , perhaps it was deleted. At any rate I rate you a stand up Guy also for what my opinion is worth.

wrefakis

No issue with that, like I noted I use  Facebook only for car hobby items, not a single image or item about myself, that said you always have a few of these people at every show, and you need cars, bodies and $ to keep our thing going

76eldo

Art,

I did read some of those comments and I agree with you.  I think that it's a good idea for anyone posting here to keep the conversation about cars.  There are a lot of people here that could go on and on about what they do, what they own, their bank balance, etc.  Personally I don't care one bit.  Keep it about cars.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

z3skybolt

Laurie....

.....And everyone else should be welcome here to seek information: offer help and advice,talk about their Cadillac/LaSalle, post pictures and share their adventures with their cars.  Ways to make the CLC even more attractive to others and positive changes should be welcome also.  But most of us don't want to hear about someones "hard body", "lovers 30 years younger"  "size two figure", "their life as a rock band roadie" how the CLC should be like a certain "gun club" how attempted theft would be met with "gunfire", how they are "suddenly rich", how heroic their "military service was", playing around with military "officers" because the "enlisted" couldn't keep their mouth shut", how they love certain " political ideology" or why our foreign members  just don't understand "freedom" and should immigrate to the good ole "USA".....nor should members have to tolerate being referred to as "dinosaurs" or told to crawl out from under "their rock."  I've only touched the surface. But if you have been following a certain poster's comments over the past couple of years....It has all been written here.  Now could we just put this SUBJECT TO REST.... and go back to talking about our cars?

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Jeff, I don't eat breakfast so there's no such pics on my page. Dinner? If I made something interesting, most definitely.
Jay, yes.
Eric, I look forward to meeting you face to face.
Bob, you're hired to write my biography and that of The Ark. You're obviously taking copious notes.

The rest of you, the drinks are on me when I and The Ark get to a GN in the Brougham Room.

Still waiting for The Ark's new replacement windshield, hope it gets here and Hyannis Vintage Auto gets it installed
before the "Blast From The Past Show" on August 24th. The Herb Chambers group IM'd me, wants me to attend their
Cars and Coffee event at the Ford dealer in Westborough on the 11th, too far and too soon, The Ark has been on tour all summer and I'm tired. They might have one at the Sharon Lexus dealer in the fall, I'd be in for that.

The Ark has been to 12 events so far this summer (3 in 5 days post tornado) and is scheduled for 6 more before the end of October when it goe$ back to Hyanni$ Vintage Auto for body work and proper paint.

Drive your Cadillac's more, spend less time on the forum, mjussayin'....

Time for bed, Day 3 of a 3 day heavy con$truction job tomorrow. Its how I buy nice things.  ;)

\m/
Laurie

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I have absolutely no idea what is going on here. I must have missed the mark.

And, pardon the bluntness, I really don't care.

Can't we all just play nice and talk about our cars?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

wrench

I, for one, enjoy being a dinosaur.

That doesn’t mean I don’t see the giant meteor coming.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Scot Minesinger

Bill's point is that we need people in our club who own cars like a 1970 FWB, maintain their classic Cadillac, show their classic Cadillac and talk about their classic Cadillac.  It is about the cars.  People are different, and we should strive to accepet that.  Sometimes in our local chapter members get off topic and discuss politics, but we steer them back to Caddillacs.  Not sure I would have as many friends in the CLC if we had to bond over other subjects besides Cadillacs. 

And, I think we all should be nicer to each other.

I drove my 1970 SDV today, and when walking to the Cadillac in the parking lot to drive it back home, it sure looked nice.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Scot -- well stated.  The conversation should be
about our CARS -- not politics or other extraneous
issues.  Save those discussions for your favorite
social media outlet.

Also,  discussions should be kept polite, civil and non
judgmental.  We are a car club, not a political action
forum. I'm getting very tired of these personal attacks
from certain members against others whom you do not
agree with.  People have different opinions on the many
issues we have to deal with as a club.  Let's all be mature
and deal with those in the correct manner.

Lastly, this Forum is meant not only to discuss information
pertaining to the CLC and it's governance but very much
to assist other members with their CAR RELATED problems.

There is a huge amount of information on both technical
and authenticity issues available from the members here.
Let's use this cyber space to the betterment of helping
fellow members rather than arguing among ourselves
over  trivial matters.  WE have a GREAT RESOURCE
here let's use it properly.

Lastly, if you feel you have the time and talent to
improve any facet of how the club operates I challenge
you to either volunteer for a committee (numerous
ones need help) or run for an office.  Only through
positive action can we work together to improve the
club. 

Airing gripes, complaints and flaming fellow members is
counterproductive and a waste of time and resources.

I'll look forward to seeing any of you "step up".  If
you're in doubt as to who to contact, call your Regional
VP.  If I can be of any assistance, please feel to PM me.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on July 31, 2019, 11:15:49 PM
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I have absolutely no idea what is going on here. I must have missed the mark.  And, pardon the bluntness, I really don't care.   Can't we all just play nice and talk about our cars?  Jeff

I'm with Jeff.  The very first posting in this thread seemed to assume that new readers were aware of some drama going on regarding another person being censored.  Like Jeff, I have no idea what is being referred to nor, like him, do I care.  Let's close this down and agree we all like Cadillacs and leave it at that........
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I love it when you guys do the moderator's job for us...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

quadfins

Well, we all have our own opinions on what is necessary for the club to survive.

Here is my take. The club will die without:

Several dozen Directors, President, and Vice Presidents who volunteer their time and knowledge, and meet at their own expense, to use their judgment to enact policies that they see as beneficial to the club as a whole. And yet, even recently, many of them have been disparaged with unsubstantiated accusations of personal financial interest or gain.

Dozens more regional directors and members who organize and hold monthly meetings to keep members involved. Like Boxer, they plod on doing what is best for the group, without the reward of personal gain.

Local regional members who attend meetings, and also volunteer their time to
Organize local tours, shows, and events. They appreciate the camaraderie of friendship and shared interests.

Dozens of club technicians, who spend hundreds of hours on the phone, answering questions from around the world about technical or authenticity issues. They never get any accolades or eulogies for all the good they provide, and yet they are there, on call, year after year.

Dozens of authors who research and write articles that can be published in our award winning club magazine. Beside a by-line, what reward do they get, except the satisfaction of sharing their knowledge and helping other club members?

And while we are at it, how about the editors and creators of that magazine, that we all enjoy so much, 11 times each year.

Oh, yes, and speaking of research and writing, let's not ignore those club members who devote hundreds of hours in researching, writing, and publishing Authenticity Manuals so that owners who choose to do so, can restore their cars as closely as possible to showroom condition. They receive no compensation or copyright royalties. They do it for the benefit of the club.

Let's not forget the hundreds of volunteers who devote thousands of hours for our Grand National shows- organizing events, arranging facilities, directing traffic, patrolling the showfield until the wee hours, serving drinks in the hospitality suite... these are thankless tasks, but our members step up and do them because they want to help other members have a memorable experience.

Oh, yes, and the moderators of this forum, who spend hundreds of hours each year vetting new members who sign up, and cleansing the forum of the hundreds of spammers for Chinese male enhancement products, Russian sex babes, Nigerian inheritance schemes, and others who have no actual interest or business on a car club forum. And yet those same moderators are subjected, by club members, to unwarranted criticism, accusations of "censorship", diatribes and lectures about Free Speech, and inappropriate contentions that they have no business serving as moderators because some of them are "foreign entities", i.e., not Americans. Their goal is to keep this forum focused and civil, but forum members would be appalled at the incivility often directed against the moderators. Yes, there is much more that goes on behind the scenes, that forum users are not aware of.

And let's also not forget, that a car club will die without:

A judging committee that recently spent months and months revising the judging guidelines, including broadening the categories to include Cadillacs in virtually any condition or level of personal customization. And yes, that committee has responded to suggestions brought up on this forum.

Club members who volunteer to serve as judges at Grand National shows. This involves devoting an entire afternoon to reviewing judging guidelines, and then spending most of the actual show day in the heat, sun, rain, etc... judging cars for those who choose to enter in judged categories. Often, the judges themselves never have an opportunity to tour the showfield and see the cars on display, as the entire day is taken up with their duties. Why do they do this? Because they want to give back to the club some of the benefit that they have derived over the years.

But wait, there's more...

Dozens of members who have years of experience and knowledge with Cadillacs, and gladly share their knowledge and experience, dispensing advice and wisdom, and expecting nothing in return (except, perhaps, some measure of courtesy and politeness) for their effort, without insults and false accusations.

Thousands of members who share a love for a certain marque of car, and who can commune in that love without dwelling on particular or specific disagreements about how best to share that love. Cadillac offered many models over the years, so particular buyers could choose which best suited them. There was not a one size fits all mentality in the showroom, nor should there be one here and now in this club. Maybe I prefer a CT6, while the next family over wants an escalade, but we don't need to call each other stupid, or despise one another, simply because we have different visions.

I don't like or agree with everything that my wife and my teenage daughter do, but I don't feel that I have to criticize them for everything that I don't agree with. With all such things, pick your fights, and if you don't like something, present it as constructive criticism, with a suggestion on how to improve, rather than a hostile takedown.

So there is my opinion, as one who has been a member for a number of years, and has participated in many of the above duties and activities. So forgive me if I sometimes get annoyed when someone without having devoted as much time and experience comes into the club and starts telling us how to run our affairs and why we are dinosaurs and destined for extinction unless we see the light and immediately change our wicked ways.

Jim

Mildly edited to clean up some spelling errors. I am currently on a road trip in France.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

wrefakis

I underestimated the degree of hostility this person caused in part because I skim all the personal bs and focus on the cars, so admit I missed some of the venom