News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cleaning the Trim After Smoke and Water Damage

Started by Highwayman68, July 31, 2019, 10:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highwayman68

I have my 68 Cadillac at home in the garage with me now so I can begin to start the cleanup of the damage from the storage fire. Most of the trim around the windows has turned brown as well as the door locks and the door guards. The car had a cover on it that was soaked with water and dirtied by falling soot then sat on the car for almost two months.

The rest of the chrome has a distorted look to it that might clean up with chrome cleaner.

I am not sure of the trim that turned brown is exposed stainless or plated stainless, any ideas on that? I am looking for recommendations on how to clean this trim. Wiping it with a wet towel does turn the towel brown but there is no noticeable difference in the trim so straight water won't do it.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Mark this can't hurt, reach out to a disaster recovery company like Serve Pro, they might have some ideas.
They deal with a lot of smoke/fire issues.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Depending on what burned in that building this might be worth a call to your insurance company. The smoke can be corrosive. Sometimes insurance companies will total out airplanes that are in a hanger fire even if it is only smoke damaged. The car may need to be professionally cleaned.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Mark:

It's terrible that your car was damaged like that but
it could have been much worse.

From what I can tell from the pics those pieces that
turned brown are usually stainless.  You'll need a
cleaner for chrome that has abrasives and solvents
in it.  Any good one would work.  What you're seeing
is smoke that contained paint / plastic residues and
these are "sticky" and tough to get off.  Soap and water
will not cut that.

Your vinyl top appears to be badly damaged.  I think
replacement is the only option there.

How is the paint?  I could not see anything really
norticable but if it has spotty residue on it this likely
can be polished out.

Of course, once you get all the facts together talk to
your insurance company as all of this should be
covered under the comprehensive portion of your
policy.

Keep us posted as to how things go and good luck!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on July 31, 2019, 11:20:05 PM
Depending on what burned in that building this might be worth a call to your insurance company. The smoke can be corrosive.  Jeff 
I can attest to the corrosiveness of stuff in a fire.

I had a small fire in my garage way back in 1990, and even though it didn't burn for long before I hit it with a fire extinguisher, I had a lot of wood working tools at the end of the bench, and where the smoke left a trail of where it had been, I didn't clean everything up for a few days, When I got to it, all the surfaces were covered with a sticky substance that was funny to touch, and after cleaning it off, the uncovered bare steel was etched with a matt pattern.

No matter what I did, apart from refacing everything, it wouldn't come off.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadillac Jack 82

Try 0000 steel wool on the stainless with a degreaser.  I've used that before with positive results.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

76eldo

0000 steel wool with a metal polish should clean it up if it wasn’t damaged beyond being having a sticky soot deposited on it. You can clean it if there is some coating on top of the surface it can clean off. If the heat and other factors changed the properties of the metal that’s a different story.

If it doesn’t start cleaning up I’d take the car to the best detailer you can find. I’d think someone’s insurance is covering this.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on July 31, 2019, 11:20:05 PM
Depending on what burned in that building this might be worth a call to your insurance company. The smoke can be corrosive. Sometimes insurance companies will total out airplanes that are in a hanger fire even if it is only smoke damaged. The car may need to be professionally cleaned.
Jeff

This is likely due to liability issues, should the plane catastrophically fail in the future, attorneys would have a hey day with the insurance carrier that made the decision not to total a plane.  It's easier to pay a little now vs. A LOT later, not to mention possible injury or loss of life.

+1 on the steel wool for stainless.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: chrisntam on August 01, 2019, 10:43:33 AM
This is likely due to liability issues,
That is true. Liability is always a concern but aviation is different in that it is up to the inspector to determine airworthyness. But that is a different story. My understanding, and I admit my understanding is just from shop/hanger talk, is that the smoke can get I to the seams of the metal and start/speed up the corrosion process. It also messes with electronics in the radios and instruments. Basically it is that smoke can start issues that won't show up for a while.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Cadillac Fleetwood

I have had excellent results with Blue Magic metal polish, which seems to have a considerable amount of solvent in it.  I have also had great results from Mother's. Perhaps the 0000 steel wool in combination with a metal polish, will give the best results.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Highwayman68

I was considering using 0000 steelwool with a solvent or detergent but wasn't sure if it would damage the stainless but from what I am reading that looks like the first option I should try.

Don't worry about the insurance on this. I have that all in hand!

chrisntam

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on August 01, 2019, 11:33:26 AM
That is true. Liability is always a concern but aviation is different in that it is up to the inspector to determine airworthyness. But that is a different story. My understanding, and I admit my understanding is just from shop/hanger talk, is that the smoke can get I to the seams of the metal and start/speed up the corrosion process. It also messes with electronics in the radios and instruments. Basically it is that smoke can start issues that won't show up for a while.
Jeff

Soot is definitely corrosive.  Handled many a house fire as an adjuster, electronic cleaning companies said the sooner they got the electronics cleaned the better, due to that exact issue.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Quote from: Highwayman68 on August 01, 2019, 04:46:52 PM
snip...
Don't worry about the insurance on this. I have that all in hand!

They totaled it and you bought is back as salvage?

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Highwayman68

Quote from: chrisntam on August 01, 2019, 06:05:33 PM
They totaled it and you bought is back as salvage?

;)

No nothing like that but with the trolls out there always scouring the internet for dirt I don't want to discuss it anywhere other than to say all is good in the end.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: Highwayman68 on August 01, 2019, 07:16:56 PM
other than to say all is good in the end.

Good for you. Glad all will work out.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

cadillacmike68

Mark,

I'd try blue magic or mothers first.  I'd use steel wool as a last resort, because it will remove the flash chrome plating on the stainless trim.

Those pieces are stainless that is "flash chromed", just a single layer of chrome instead of triple plating (copper-nickel-chrome). There's not much there and you want to keep it. Hope to see you next week.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jim Miller

I would not use steel wool. A fine bronze wool is better. For my cars and the chrome on my old boat - bronze wool and any liquid polish.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Highwayman68

I hope to get the Blue Magic tomorrow and start on it soon. I did receive the 0000 steel wool today, just to have if needed.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Highwayman68 on August 05, 2019, 10:17:00 PM
I hope to get the Blue Magic tomorrow and start on it soon. I did receive the 0000 steel wool today, just to have if needed.

FWIW, Blue Magic and 0000 steel wool was what Hyannis Vintage told me to use on my chrome - amazing.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Highwayman68

I spent some time last night working on small sections of the bumpers and the stainless steel trim. I got some pleasant results but it is obvious there is permanent damage that will never go away.

For the level of my car, which I consider to be a daily driver that isn't driven much, I am able to accept this is what it will be. For the most part this has always been my car for me to enjoy and if others also like it and see something special in it then they too have gotten something enjoyable from the car. Keep back 10 feet and enjoy the view :)

I used the Mothers chrome polish on the bumpers and the Blue Magic with 0000 steel wool on the stainless. Now the fun begins, what will seem like miles and miles of chrome and trim to clean *sigh*