News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Cadillac: need help on identification of series

Started by John Barry [CLC17027], August 02, 2019, 06:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barry [CLC17027]

Here are some pictures of a mostly-original 1940 Cadillac taken recently at a nearby classic car dealership. I apologize for the quality, but I forgot to bring a camera, and thus had only a rather low-grade phone camera.

One picture shows clearly that this has a Fleetwood body. It's also interesting to note that the front seat is leather, while the rear is Bedford cloth, although there is no divider: I would have thought this seat cover mix would have meant a chauffeured car, but perhaps not.

I'm trying to figure out whether this is a 60 Special, series 61, 62, or 75. Any/all help is appreciated--more so if you can tell me what's diagnostic about whatever series this turns out to be.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

John,
It looks like a 60S & maybe a Special Order car. Get a pic of the data plate. It will tell for sure.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

John Barry [CLC17027]

John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

harry s

It could also be a 72 Series. The best way to tell is the tail lights are mounted high on the body as opposed to the fender.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Tom Boehm

The 72 series also has the door handles as part of the beltline molding. Because of the picture quality I can't be sure but my best guess is a 60S.

jdemerson

Quote from: Tom Boehm on August 02, 2019, 11:33:10 PM
The 72 series also has the door handles as part of the beltline molding. Because of the picture quality I can't be sure but my best guess is a 60S.

Yes, definitely not a 72. A better shot from the side would be conclusive. But I think I see exposed door hinges at the front edge of the rear doors. Running boards are not exposed, but perhaps that was the case in some other models besides 60S. I'm 95% sure this is a 60 Special.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Barry M Wheeler #2189

John, I had a Series 6127 coupe once that had a SO leather front seat also. This was a special order option. And as Quentin attested, this is a 100% died in the wool 60S. Come on, guys. The picture wasn't THAT bad... And the Series was changed to a Fleetwood in 1940. 1938/39 were not. $$$ talked back then and cars were built the way the customer wanted them.

The last I heard of an incident like this was when Pete Peters wanted a new yellow Corvette with red seats to match his '53 Eldorado. He was told that only black was available. "Not if you want to sell the car," he replied. Guess what color the seats are.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville