News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Noisy front suspension and steering in a '62

Started by 62 CDV, August 02, 2019, 07:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 CDV

These days, when I hit a bump, I sometimes get a rattle in my front suspension or my front brake drums (I think). Also, I get some clunking when I steer hard in either direction.

Would anyone have suggestions as to what these issues might be?

Thanks in advance for the due diligence.

Big Fins

I would first be looking at the upper control arm bushings. The stabilizer bar end link bushing could also have deteriorated. Unless you are a DIY'er, I would have a trusted shop go over the front suspension and give you a list of what they find.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

fishnjim

Without knowing the mileage/history, excessive suspension wear.  Joints are so loose the tire "flutters" on rebound.   Needs inspected and overhauled.   Including shocks, a-arms, bearings, etc.    Could even be broken bolts/parts.   The "soft" parts have probably also turned "hard".
Not something you want in a panic driving situation so don't delay repairs.   Tires will wear uneven making it worse and need replaced, if prolonged.   
Just because they're old and well made doesn't mean they don't need regular maintenace and repairs to wear parts.