News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 stereo rear speaker grilles

Started by J. Douglas Bailey, August 07, 2019, 08:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Douglas Bailey

I lost some authenticity points in Louisville because my '66 Eldorado has rear speakers in the convertible well with Pioneer speaker grilles. I discovered that Cadillac used a generic speaker grille for all the big bodied GM cars for '66. I couldn't find any through Cadillac sources, but did find a pair in the Ames Performance catalog (Pontiac). They are simple rectangular gray metal grilles. Here's my question: Did Cadillac paint them black or body color, or leave them gun metal gray?   
Director, Peach State region
1958 extended deck sedan touring badge; 1st Touring '07
1966 Eldorado Senior Touring badge; 2nd Primary '19
1996 Fleetwood Brougham, 2nd Primary '12
2013 XTS

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

The units in my first '66 were semi-dullish black with no brand identification. I believe, but am not certain, that they were original.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

spolij

My 66 was gold. The rear speaker grills were black.

J. Douglas Bailey

Thanks Ralph and John. Seems reasonable that they were black, probably flat or semi-gloss black. That's what I'll do. These are plain, flat, no logos, perforated metal with four screw holes in the corners. Attached a photo of the grilles as shipped from Ames.
2013 XTS

spolij

Yep same as mine. What happened to your originals?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Those look exactly like the ones on my '72 Eldorado Convertible.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

J. Douglas Bailey

My '66 had been through a lot, including apparently a set of replacement Pioneer speakers in the rear. They worked fine, but there's a garish chrome logo splashed all over them. Caught the judges' eyes in Louisville. The problem was finding grilles that could replace them. I was willing to buy new speakers from the guy in MN who sold me the small speakers for the dash - but as an indicator of what a good guy he is, Dave (I think that's his name) at S & M Electrotech suggested I check with Ames Performance rather than sell me new speakers. It took them a couple of weeks to get a pair in stock, but they had them. Cost me $22 each plus shipping. Feels good to get another step closer to looking like it should... Thanks for your help, guys. I wonder if the Authenticity Manual says anything about this -- I'll ask Lars and Jeff.
2013 XTS