News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Instrument Panel light replacement on a 59

Started by Ed Burke, August 09, 2019, 10:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Burke

I am replacing all the bulbs on the instrument panel on my 59. I thought this would be a quick and easy job. On the rear of the panel there are these easy to remove black plastic knobs and the bulb is in the black knob. I cannot get these bulbs out! any suggestions?

The Tassie Devil(le)

From what I can recall, they just twist then pull out.

Then the globe simply is pulled straight out of the plastic piece.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ed Burke

The plastic piece twisted right out. I simply can't get the bulb out of the plastic piece. I will pull another one and see if it is just this one that's being difficult

Big Fins

The bulb has 2 pins on the base and needs to be twisted 1/3 -1/4 turn counter-clockwise to remove it from the mounting socket.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Ed Burke

It's a troublesome bulb. Another one came right out. Anyone know where I can get these plastic sockets?

Ed Burke

Thanks. I can see it needs to be twisted on the good socket. This troublesome socket is really jammed. Won't move at all.

59-in-pieces

Ed,
The bulbs have 2 pegs each, on opposite sides from the other - 1 higher than the other.
The bulbs need to be first pushed down deeper into their socket and then rotated to remove.
Be aware when you put the new bulb into the socket that you take notice of the indents on the inside of the socket that the appropriate peg - higher or lower - is placed into the matching indent after the bulb is pushed down against the spring loaded connector, and then/before rotation.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David Greenburg

I’ve probably got a few of those sockets floating around in the “parts dept.”
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Ed Burke

Ok. Im going to dive deeper in into this. I see what you are referring to with the bulbs. The other bulb came right out so I can see the grooves. I think I can save this socket. If all fails I will ask my parts man to go into the parts department to find me a socket!
Thanks again gentlemen!

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have dozens of those plastic bulb holders, and probably even more of the bulbs themselves.   I can send you some, but David will be a lot closer.

The one that won't come out is probably melted into the plastic, and if you can't simply pull on the glass, then it probably needs tossing out.

The globes that Steve is referring to are the Stop and Tail lights which have to be orientated correctly within the socket or they won't fit.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daryl Chesterman

Ed, the sockets that the parts stores like NAPA, O'Reilly, etc. have, take a different bulb than OEM--usually a 194 or similar push in bulb.  If you want to keep all of the bulbs the same as OEM, get the sockets from one of the gentlemen who offered that they had some in their spare parts.

Daryl Chesterman