News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1965 Cadillac new Brake Drums

Started by Eldorado_1965, August 12, 2019, 04:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldorado_1965

Hello,

Does anybody know, where to get new original brake drums for a 65 Cadillac which are high Quality and fulfill the OE Standards?
Thank you very much for your assistance.

TJ Hopland

Have you had issues with the currently available replacements?  If so what has been the issue?  It looks to be a reasonably common (for Cadillac) drum that was used for several years on several models so finding a NOS or good used should not be impossible especially since they were mostly used on the rears in later years and you don't tend to get much wear. 

CADILLAC   BROUGHAM   1987-1990
CADILLAC   CALAIS   1965-1976
CADILLAC   COMMERCIAL CHASSIS   1961-1984
CADILLAC   DEVILLE   1962-1983
CADILLAC   ELDORADO   1965-1966
CADILLAC   FLEETWOOD   1965-1986
CADILLAC   SERIES 60 FLEETWOOD   1960-1964
CADILLAC   SERIES 62   1960-1964
CADILLAC   SERIES 75 FLEETWOOD   1961-1964
CHEVROLET   CAPRICE   1976
CHEVROLET   IMPALA   1976
OLDSMOBILE   98   1971-1975
OLDSMOBILE   CUSTOM CRUISER   1971-1975
OLDSMOBILE   DELTA 88   1971-1975
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eldorado_1965

THX for your reply.

In the workshop, they told me that the drums are often reproductions of poor Quality that sometimes run rough and  need  to be drilled out. Sometimes the cast material is too soft and the temperature behavior is bad. Therefore, I would like to ask if anyone has already had experience with new brake drums that do not need to be reworked. Is there a manufacturer of high quality drums in the US that meets or exceeds OE standards? I am thankful for every hint. Thanks a lot!

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Unfortunately, the raw castings for brake drums and also most
disk brakes are no longer made in the U.S. -- they are imports
from China.

The better, well known brands such as Raybestos,Wagner, Bendix,
Centric, Motorcraft, Delco are normaly machined here in the U.S.
from imported castings.  What you find at the chain suppliers such
as Autozone, NAPA, and others are completed products cast and
machined in China.  The quality is reportedly marginal or sub-par.
However, that may be good enough for those of us that rarely drive
our vehicles over a few hundres miles per year.

That's why the parts chain stores can suppy their products at a
lower price.  No American labor is involved in the critical machining
and finishing process.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

bctexas

I have a question on this subject.  It appears that the new drums do not include the front hub - the same part number is specified for both front and rear.  What is involved in removing the hub from the old drum?  I didn't realize the hub/drum were designed to be separated.
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Jason Edge

I have a good supply of 1960 to 1974 Cadillac drums and sell the rear drums turned for $65 each. These are the same drums used on the front, minus the front hubs. I also sell the drums unturned for $45 each. MPB lists these as fitting all 1960 to 1974 Cadillacs except the Commercial Chassis body styles and 1967 and later Eldorado. I have included pictures of 4 rear drums I recently had turned but have more. email me at jasonedge@nc.rr.com with shipping address if interested in VG originals.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Jason Edge

I did some research in the 1969 and 1974 Master Parts Books and the rear drums I have fit 1960 to 1974 Cadillacs except the Commercial Chassis and 1967 and later Eldorado. Again, price is $65 each (or $45 unturned).

I also have VG used 1961 to 1968 Cadillac (except 1967/68 Eldo) front drum & hubs, turned for $105 each (or $85 unturned). Shoot me an email to jasonedge@nc.rr.com if you need good turned 60 to 74 rear drums, or 61 to 68 front drum & hubs.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

This is great to know, thanks Jason!
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Eldorado_1965

Thank you very much for the information.
I am in doubt, whether the turning out of the drum is good, since the wall thickness is reduced by the turning out.
Up to which wall thickness (to what extent ?) can you turn off the brake drum so that you can brake safely even at 80mls/h? Can the heat created during braking be dissipated well without the brake drum warping due to the heat? Sorry, I have no experience in it.

Michael

The Tassie Devil(le)

All drums can be machined, so long as you don't exceed the manufacturers specifications.

I would rather use a factory-machined drum than a brand new Chinese one.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jason Edge

As Bruce stated, drums can be machined. Drums and rotors have been being turned (machined) since drums and rotors have been around. Specs for the drums are in the Shop Manual. For the drums I deal with, the spec 12.060 inch diameter.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I had the drums on the 55 turned. I they didn't have any manuals so I told them the specs. I added a bit to the max because I wanted my originals back. It isn't a daily driver so I figured. 05" wouldn't hurt. They didn't tell me what they specked out at but they said they all were turntable.
They charged more to turn truck drums than car drums. They wanted to charge me the truck price because the guy behind the counter said no cars had drums that big.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on August 18, 2019, 09:18:16 PM
I had the drums on the 55 turned. I they didn't have any manuals so I told them the specs. I added a bit to the max because I wanted my originals back. It isn't a daily driver so I figured. 05" wouldn't hurt. They didn't tell me what they specked out at but they said they all were turntable.
They charged more to turn truck drums than car drums. They wanted to charge me the truck price because the guy behind the counter said no cars had drums that big.
Jeff

LOL  ;D
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike