News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 body plate

Started by Roger Zimmermann, August 16, 2019, 03:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

The next few days, I will have to inspect a 1939 convertible Serie 61 for the ID card from the FIVA (something which is probably unknown in the US). The owner provided some documents like the body plate and a page which look like an invoice from Cadillac.
On the body plate, the trim is SO-5760 and there is no paint code.
On that "invoice", I see the paint (Color combination) code 59 and the trim or upholstery as code 40.
The car was restored and it seems to me that the body plate is too good looking, like new. Plus the discrepancies with the various codes.
Unfortunately, I have no documentation from this pre-war time and I don't know what the paint code 59 could be, nor the trim code 40.
Presently, the car is black with a red-brown leather trim.
Who has an idea?

Edit: I found the codes in the GM Heritage center:
Trim 40 = brown leather
Paint 59 = Monterey Blue metallic.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Tom Boehm

The invoice you speak of is the build sheet. That document is available from Cadillac if you give them the serial number on the frame. It will tell all the options the car came with from the factory. On the build sheet the serial number is called the engine number. The serial number is stamped on the top of the left side of the frame adjacent to the steering gear. The same number is stamped on the engine block just behind the left cylinder bank, parallel to the dash. I the car has the original engine the frame and the engine number will match. There is a unit engine number on the same engine surface as the serial number. Again if it is the original engine this unit engine number will be on the build sheet. 
The SO on the data plate stands for Special Order. That means the interior came from the factory with something different from the ordinary offerings. Those data plates are normally painted black like the rest of the firewall. I think it is interesting that the build sheet does not mention the SO.

Does anyone out there know what S.B.O. No. means on the build sheet?

Jeff Hansen

Quote from: Tom Boehm on August 16, 2019, 09:12:14 AM
Does anyone out there know what S.B.O. No. means on the build sheet?

IIRC, "S.B.O." stands for Special Body Order (Bob Hoffman will know for sure) and it is the same thing as SO on the body tag.  An SO could also have been something different about the body, too.  It wasn't confined to just the interior.  Could have been as simple as monograms on the doors.  Other possibilities include a convertible top of non-standard material or color, special paint color (although not in this particular instance since paint code 59 is shown on the invoice), special color on the wheels, etc.

Roger, I don't believe the body tag has been replaced as those appear to be original rivets holding it in place and the font and stampings appear as I have seen on other Cadillacs and LaSalles of this era.  I agree with Tom that it should be painted body color. 

I hope this is helpful.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks you both for the answers. Engine number and number stamped on the frame are identical and do correspond with a 1939 car Serie 61. I don't doubt that this car is original, I'm just amazed about the discrepancies between the build sheet (on a second page there is a radio and antenna) and the body plate.
It's not my car, I was just curious if somebody has an explanation about the missing paint code and the stamped so-5760 which has nothing in common with the trim 40 from the build sheet.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Roger,
  Let's start by posting the invoice, both pages. I'll explain what it says.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Tom Boehm

He posted the first page of the build sheet. Click on "invoice" under the picture. I almost missed it also. The SBO number on the build sheet and the SO number on the data plate are the same. I do not know what that number means. I thought that the unique item was in the interior because the SO was next to TRIM on the data plate. I also think the rivets look original.

Roger Zimmermann

Here is the radio page.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

tozerco

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on August 16, 2019, 11:21:56 AM
Thanks you both for the answers. Engine number and number stamped on the frame are identical and do correspond with a 1939 car Serie 61. I don't doubt that this car is original, I'm just amazed about the discrepancies between the build sheet (on a second page there is a radio and antenna) and the body plate.
It's not my car, I was just curious if somebody has an explanation about the missing paint code and the stamped so-5760 which has nothing in common with the trim 40 from the build sheet.

Roger,

The original "invoice" also has a $43 charge for a radio which has a "X" against it on the sheet. I don't see any discrepancy here.

John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi John,
Good observation!! The radio shouldn't be a big deal but maybe it is. I don't see any other SO items.
Bob

Roger Zimmermann

Well, I never argue about the radio and antenna (on the picture, the car has an antenna), only about what is on the build sheet about trim and paint!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Just to clarify a little, if an SO car then the code for paint and trim is never (not sure about never) put on the body tag just the SO number, which leads via the invoice to all of the details on the car.  This can go to several pages if a really special car.  The only question with this car is why is it a SO because all of the items are standard offerings in 39.  I have seen several 1940 convertibles ordered by Don Lee Cadillac in CA where the top color was special, black instead of the standard tan.  That was the only item not standard.  In those cases the paint code and trim code are not on the body tag. 

A question on a possible special item without taking the time for more research.  I know in 1940 the 62 series had running boards as a N/C item either way but was that true in 39.  Maybe deleting the running boards was special in 39.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Brad, As Jon pointed out, the X is always the SO in question. Roger, I think it's time to ask...why are you so interested in that data plate??
Thanks, Bob

Roger Zimmermann

It's because I have to se the car next week and, with my signature on the paperwork, it will get the ID card from the FIVA. I wanted to clear the possible issue about the body plate before my visit to the owner.
What Brad wrote is a good explanation why the paint code was not stamped on the plate. Thanks, Brad!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bobby B

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on August 18, 2019, 03:06:52 PM
What is the FIVA??

Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens. Translation = International Federation of Historic Vehicles...........
                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bobby,
At least it has nothing to do with the registration.
I was concerned that the "authorities" were getting involved.
Thanks for posting.
Bob

Jeff Maltby 4194

From the vaults for whatever it's worth ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Jeff!
It is he confirmation that the explanation from Brad is right.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101