News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 Eldorado Hood Latch

Started by Flyer, August 19, 2019, 02:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

Can someone please advise me what the correct color and sheen the hood latch is painted? The latch I am asking bout is the one attached to the underside of the front of the hood. Thanks much

Hugh Dean

MikeLawson

On my 1967 Deville,the original finish on the hood latch mechanism appears to be a dull gray phosphate  coating.  I tried to get a decent picture of it for you but it still might be hard to see it on the attached image. If you do a Google search for "phosphate finish", you'll see fasteners and other parts that will give you an idea of the color. I think you can get a decent match using a spray can of "Rebuilder's Gray" which would be a flat cast iron appearance.

Flyer

Thanks Mike. My Hood latch is also the phosphate color and matte sheen. During judging at the 2019 GN I was told by the Judge on the team that the color of the latch should be black. Since we don't have an Authenticity manual for 1967-1970, class 23, I can't find a source to verify the judge's opinion. I'm just trying to clean up some of the small issues on my car to get ready for future GNs. Hugh

67_Eldo

Here's the latch on my '67 Eldorado. It probably began life as black but 52 years of use wrought changes.

MikeLawson

Quote from: Flyer on August 20, 2019, 07:34:50 AM
Thanks Mike. My Hood latch is also the phosphate color and matte sheen. During judging at the 2019 GN I was told by the Judge on the team that the color of the latch should be black. Since we don't have an Authenticity manual for 1967-1970, class 23, I can't find a source to verify the judge's opinion. I'm just trying to clean up some of the small issues on my car to get ready for future GNs. Hugh

Hugh,

The engine compartment in my car is all original and the finishes are in fantastic condition so I believe that what you found on your car is also correct.  Not sure what you could do to convince the judges besides telling them you know of other all original cars that have the phosphate finish on these parts.
Regards,
Mike

Flyer

Mike there could be a deference between the '67 Deville and the "67 Eldorado. I would like to hear from some more folks that have the Eldorado to try to verify the correct paint color. I may end up calling some of the '67 Eldorado owners listed in the membership book to get more info. Thanks much for the follow up. hugh