News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978 Eldorado fuel pump?

Started by Tornike, August 22, 2019, 01:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tornike

This part starts working and its pretty audible when I put car in ignition. What is it? Could it be related to fuel system? The car is having trouble starting as I had it parked for 3 months with front uphill and am worried it’s not pumping fuel upwards. Suggestions? Thanks

TJ Hopland

That is the air compressor for the level ride rear air shocks.  It should quit after a minute or so.  If it keeps running you likely have a leak and should unplug it so you don't damage it from running all the time with a leak.

Fuel pump is a typical mechanical type on the front side of the engine kinda below the distributor. 

To see if its a fuel pump/delivery issue get a small squirt bottle and pour some gas down that 3/8" tube the stands up out the top of the carb just in front of the choke blade.   That is the bowl vent so pouring gas down there will fill the carb where the pump normally pumps gas.   If it starts then and runs for like a minute then you know the issue is before the carb.   The fuel filter in 78 was in the carb inlet. 

Another common place to have an issue is the rubber fuel lines back at the tank.  There is a short length of hose between the hard lines coming out the top of the tank and the hard lines along the frame.   People often replace the ones up by the engine but forget about the ones back by the tank.  You can see them if you look between the rear axle and tank.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

Aside of the air compressor, I'm wondering if the blower motor might also be making strange noises when he turns the key on. That Flow-Thru Ventilation or Astro-Ventilation, whatever it's called. A dry bearing in the motor could produce odd sounds.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

I was thinking 78 there had to be vacuum for the blower to run at all?  I had a couple real cold days in my 78 before I figured out I had left the parking brake vacuum line off which apparently also runs the climate control.   But it is a good thought of a system that would possibly make noises with the key on.   Radio antenna would be another thing that could be trying to run but stuck or broken.

I am assuming this isn't and EFI car.  I'm thinking for some reason it was not an option for a 78 Eldo, only the C cars and standard on Seville.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason