News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Where to buy 1924 thermostats?

Started by Roger Zimmermann, August 23, 2019, 04:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

The same Cadillac model V63 from 1924 for which I could buy key blanks is now needing new thermostats. The sole offering I found is from Speedway Motor, which seems questionable to me. Is there any other source for the thermostats?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Glen

This may not help you much but, I was working on a 1944 Whitcombe and it needed new thermostats.  A friend tried to get them from a NAPA store.  The guy behind the counter could not find anything.  I took one to my favorite NAPA and showed it to the old guy.  He looked in the catalog and after about 30 minutes found he had two on the shelf and two more in the warehouse.  He told me next time to ask for a thermostat for a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger Zimmermann

Glen, unfortunately, no NAPA store in Switzerland!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

pmhowe

I suggest you post several pictures of the thermostat on this website. With luck, some of us may recognize it as identical to one that is commonly available. Good luck!
Phil

Roger Zimmermann

Good idea Phil! I will ask for picture(s) and will publish them here.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

might ask for the p/n & manufacturer - that helps in locating/tracing parts.   Maybe dimensions and temperature setting with picture, if available.   Any info helps when looking for unobtainia.   
Might consider having repaired if they have old ones.   Brass era, brass can be fixed.

They came up on a quick search but have no way of knowing, if it's the right one.  Why not just buy those or any you find and see if they work?   A couple bucks each is worth it.   Might get lucky.

My gut tells me if you can't fix the ones in it, then going to have to improvise.   Another reason, I'm not a prewar-ee.   The documents (ephemora) don't usually exist either.
Some of these old parts take years to locate and some you search forever without finding for they don't exist anymore - but there's probably some on a shelf somewhere but no one knows what they're for.   They'll turn up.   Something to search for at Hershey.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: fishnjim on August 27, 2019, 03:10:34 PM
   Something to search for at Hershey.
I will let that task to the owner! Anyway, thanks for the answer.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Glen

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on August 27, 2019, 03:36:47 AM
Glen, unfortunately, no NAPA store in Switzerland!

Understand, but you have auto parts stores there, and older/experienced parts clerks. But this could work there too. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Glen on August 28, 2019, 03:01:05 AM
Understand, but you have auto parts stores there, and older/experienced parts clerks. But this could work there too.
Have you ever been in Europe and Switzerland? Parts older than 10 years are thrown away, they just need space we don't have. Older parts clerks? In our "large" parts stores, the ones aged 45 are the very old! And don't forget: a Cadillac? what's that?
I doubt that you would search a part for a 1925 Renault (or whatever European brand) in the US; you would certainly search in Europe.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Glen

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on August 28, 2019, 03:08:54 AM
Have you ever been in Europe and Switzerland? Parts older than 10 years are thrown away, they just need space we don't have. Older parts clerks? In our "large" parts stores, the ones aged 45 are the very old! And don't forget: a Cadillac? what's that?
I doubt that you would search a part for a 1925 Renault (or whatever European brand) in the US; you would certainly search in Europe.

Wow, just trying to help.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Glen on August 28, 2019, 03:12:18 AM
Wow, just trying to help.
I know it Glen, I know it! My answer had not the goal to be nasty but just to put the things in the right perspective. If I would be more fluent in English, my comment would have been different.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101