News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wheel Balancing of 1966-1976 Cadillac Devilles

Started by EAM 17806, August 26, 2019, 03:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

What would be the best way to have wheels with full wheel covers be balanced correctly on 66-76 devilles?
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TJ Hopland

Option  A:   
find a shop that has the proper CAX weights which is unlikely since most tire shops took advantage of a trade in program when they 'got rid' of lead weights and didn't re order since they were only used on Cadillac and some Lincoln for a few years. 

Option B:
order CAX weights yourself and bring them to the shop.   They are still available usually in fairly large sizes and the shop can then just cut them down to the size needed.

Option C:
let the shop use the modern stick on tape weights that they often use on aluminum wheels these days.  It really should work and the RWD cars don't seem to be as sensitive to balance as the FWD cars were that used the same weights.

Option D:
have them balance only using weights on the inside.   ALso in theory possible and could work since the RWD's don't tend to be that sensitive.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dan LeBlanc

I balance my own wheels.  On the inside, I use conventional weights, on the outside, I use stick on weights on the flat part perpendicular to the bead.  Has been working fine for me for the last 4 Cadillacs now.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Scot Minesinger

These wheels are lug centric, in that the lug nuts center the wheel on the axle.  Most modern cars are hub centric and the hub centers the wheel on the axle.  The lug centric adaptor on a high speed spin balance machine is $700 extra.  Most modern tire shops do not have this attachment.  "Free" tire balancing with a tire purchase is a price leader and generally the least experience, least talented, lowest paid, least valuable, and lowest...etc. performs the balance work.  Accordingly, at many tire shops you get less than you pay for with the "free" tire balancing and it is done hub centric on your Cadillac instead of lug centric.   

To answer your question a tire shop with a lug centric balance attachment that will take the time to do the job right is best.  You can approach a tire shop and be willing to pay the most talented mechanic to perform a lug centric balance while you watch and he does it as if it is his own car that will drive his pregnant daughter to the hospital at 80mph for two hours.

I do my own tire balancing on a Hunter Road force machine with the correct weights and lug centric attachment.  Most of the time the tire balance machine will recommend that the tire be rotated with respect to the rim to insure the heaviest part of the tire is opposite heaviest part of rim which minimizes weights.  Each tire balance takes an hour and almost always includes two tire mounts.   This was an expensive set up to buy, but so worth it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

Quote from: Scot Minesinger
These wheels are lug centric, in that the lug nuts center the wheel on the axle.  Most modern cars are hub centric and the hub centers the wheel on the axle. 

I do my own tire balancing on a Hunter Road force machine with the correct weights and lug centric attachment.  Most of the time the tire balance machine will recommend that the tire be rotated with respect to the rim to insure the heaviest part of the tire is opposite heaviest part of rim which minimizes weights.  Each tire balance takes an hour and almost always includes two tire mounts.   This was an expensive set up to buy, but so worth it.

I undertand a balancer being hub concentric.  But how can any car
be hub concentric if it use tapered lug nuts? 

How can you tell where the heaviest part of tire and rim respectively
are once they are assembled?  Should rims be balanced by themselves? 

I was once impressed by on car balancing, but have not yet gotten
some pieces working here.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

I too was thinking that lug centric was still common for cars.  One reason I was told is that since aluminum rims are almost standard there are a lot of corrosion issues at the hub so they make the hubs oversize to reduce them getting stuck. 

I do agree that most balance machines use the hub hole and maybe not their least experienced tech certainly not their best.  With one shop during 7 failed attempts to get something reasonably balanced I told them to balance it which they said the machine said it was then set it on the ground then pick it up and run it on the machine again and tell me what the result was.   I asked if in theory it should still say perfect balance with they agreed but every time they did that it said there  was a problem.  After the 7th fail they then mentioned that the wheel would only fit on their machine 'backwards'.    This was a shop that specialized in tires and was named for one of the big tire brands.   And no this was not some crazy oddball car I owned, it was a Suburban with factory steel wheels.   GM truck,  can't get any more obscure than that eh?   And I was not being picky either, this thing shook so bad it would throw the weights off and I had one mirror fall off.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

EAM 17806

What do you guys/gals think of balancing these full wheel covered rims with the lead weights on the inside of the rim and adhesive weights applicable to the exterior  of the rim.  I know the CAX weights  are the best but it's almost impossible to find any; I've tried everywhere.   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

EAM 17806

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on September 18, 2019, 11:17:08 AM
Ev,
Here are some.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-wheel-weights-NOS-CAX-Eldorado-De-Ville-Lincoln-Thorough-8-pc-lot-/332082944093

Greg Surfas
THANKS GREG!  They are out of stock also, not available; but what do you think about my initial question concerning the different way to balance these wheels?  EAM
Ev Marabian

Ev,
I personally have always used the proper weights. I had no success with anything else on my Eldo and haven't even tried on anything else that needs the CAX weights.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Ev,
I just looked at my "stash of CAX weights and if you want them I can sell you 2-1oz, 2-3oz, 2-2.25 oz and 2 2.50z weights (they can be cut down as required) for $50.00 plus the $7.90 for USPS flat rate.
If you want them please PM me.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ev,

I have no problems with the stick-on wheel weights, and the secret is to wipe the painted surface with a product like Brakleen or Prep Wash, as this removes any contaminants and polish from the spot where you want the weight to stick to.

Plus, if you need more weights than Greg has, I have a good supply of new weights (3 boxes) that I purchased years ago, and these are 2, 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 Ounce.

Shipping them back to USA would be expensive.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon