News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Push button for starter.

Started by Dewane Ollech, August 27, 2019, 09:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewane Ollech

For long time members, I recently inherited the Legacy Cadillac that was featured a while back in the Self Starter.

Please let me know how to remove the push button for the starter from the dash. I don't want to break or damage anything. A wire has come off the starter button.
Dewane Ollech CLC#24329

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As I recall, the button is held on by a U-clamp which is held on by a slotted screw in the middle of the back. Jay, am I right?
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on August 28, 2019, 09:52:32 AM
As I recall, the button is held on by a U-clamp which is held on by a slotted screw in the middle of the back. Jay, am I right?

Barry, I'm pretty sure you are right, though it's been some years since I removed one of those and my memory is a bit hazy.  I do remember that it is not an easy job as the space is tight behind the dash around that mechanism.  Also, I'm out of town for 10 days and don't have my own '49 nearby to look at.   

Dewane, I suggest you email or call Joe Cutler, the other 49 tech advisor at 49caddymanemail addresses not permitted or 508-476-3490 and ask him about it, since I recall discussing this with him some years back.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dewane Ollech

Thanks for the advice. I sent an e-mail to Joe. It seems like it should be simple, but I guess not so much.
Dewane Ollech CLC#24329

Jeff Maltby 4194

The outer chrome ring is all that holds it in place.

Click on pictures to enlarge: http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=120814.0
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Barry M Wheeler #2189

That's right. The bezel has a dimple in it to help get it started. Duh!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

That's a picture of the ignition switch not the starter switch.  The starter switch is just a push button. I believe Barry and Jay are right.  There is a "U" shaped bracket on the back held to the switch by a screw.  This is from memory on my part also. I just tried to look at it but it takes more gymnastic than I could do right now. You just have to get your eyes on the back and it will be obvious how to remove.  The hard part is getting eyes on it.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Brad Ipsen CLC #737 on August 29, 2019, 10:09:12 PM
That's a picture of the ignition switch not the starter switch.  The starter switch is just a push button.

Am I correct in assuming it may help if the ignition switch is first pulled out of its hole (with the wires attached) before removing the starter button?  As Jeff and Barry said, it's easy to pull out the ignition switch (unlike the starter button).  Hold a small punch pin or screwdriver against one of the dimples on the perimeter of the ring that Barry mentioned, tap the pin or screwdriver lightly with a hammer in a counter-clockwise direction and it will unscrew. Don't be too hard with the ring or it will get scratched. 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's the starter switch.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Dewane Ollech

Thanks everyone.
Joe Cutler was spot on with his advice. This is a copy of the e-mail I sent him.

Joe,

Thanks for the advice, you were spot on.
Of course it wasn’t all that easy as I stand 6’3” and weigh in at 260.
Getting into position to get my hand in place was quite the ordeal that involved a lot of bad language, much to the entertainment of my wife.
But I was successful, because of you.

Thanks Joe.
Dewane Ollech CLC#24329

35-709

;D  I sometimes tell my wife that she might want to be elsewhere when I am doing a certain job.  ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jay Friedman

When I'm doing something demanding I tell my wife not to come near or talk to me.  Mostly so she doesn't hear all my choice language and less so I'm not distracted.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984