News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 Fleetwood El Dorado passenger side mirror

Started by Stevison, August 29, 2019, 05:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevison

1966 Fleetwood El Dorado passenger side mirror

I just purchased this car and noticed that it does not have a passenger side mirror. Does anyone know if passenger side mirrors were available as an option on the 1966 Fleetwood El Dorado? Does anyone know where NOS or reproduction passenger side mirrors can be found? I have a 1946 6267D convertible that came standard with a passenger side mirror. I find it curious that Cadillac cared more about driver safety in 1946 than in 1966! Appreciate anyone’s comments. Thanks, Stevison

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

No they were not. I have a 66 too, it's a blind spot that makes me turn my head every time.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

cadillacmike68

Until the convex glass mirrors came out in the mid to late 70s a right side mirror was less than useless, so they weren't generally offered.

In 1968 with the larger shrouded mirrors, they were standard on the series 75s but dealer option only on everything else. I can still see better out of the center mirror, especially with the top down.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

J. Skelly

I installed one on my '71 Eldorado that I pulled off a car in a junk yard.  It was a useful feature to have and wasn't convex.  My '77 also has it and it's handy for traffic and parking.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

cadillacmike68

Yes, but 1968 and later were rectangular and shrouded while 1966 was round and not shrouded. I'm sure a round RH mirror can be found if really wanted but the door will have to be drilled and the OP might not want to do this.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

The 1966 slope on the door prevented a right hand mirror unless like the left side the base would compensate for the bend in the metal, which it doesn't on the right. Therefore unless the base is moved down the door, destroying the lines of the door/fender follow it wasn't offered.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Stevison

I want to thank everyone who responded to my original thread! It is so helpful when the experienced owners weigh in. Thanks much, and I will get used to using the standard rearview mirror. Stevison

jerry 1261

might check my you tube    65-66 Cadillac mirror

David Greenburg

FWIW, I’ve been looking at getting an easily removable (clip-on) wide angle rear view mirror that goes over the inside rear view mirror for use on freeway excursions.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special