News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

31 CADDY V-8

Started by terryufs, August 30, 2019, 08:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryufs

WHAT IS THE PROCESS TO START THIS VEHICLE. I WAS TOLD THERE IS SOME SWITHES ON THE STEERING WHEEL .

Chris Cummings

Hi,

Is your car complete and in good working condition?  Are all the controls in working order?  If so, the attached excerpt from the 1931 V-8 owner's manual gives a complete starting routine.  The throttle control is a lever above the horn button on the steering wheel hub.  If it's missing or not working, just be sure to keep the accelerator pedal partially depressed during starting and warm-up.  You can access the entire owners manual at the GM Heritage Center website if you don't have a copy.  Good luck with your car.  Can you tell us about it?

Best regards,

Chris Cummings

terryufs

Thanks for the help, Chris. I just purchased the car from an estate and I haven't tried starting it yet.
Where is the best place for parts for these cars. I'm going to need plugs and oil filters.

Bobby B

Quote from: terryufs on August 30, 2019, 12:38:24 PM
Thanks for the help, Chris. I just purchased the car from an estate and I haven't tried starting it yet.

We Need pictures!  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: terryufs on August 30, 2019, 12:38:24 PM
Where is the best place for parts for these cars. I'm going to need plugs and oil filters.

All the info you want is right here. Just ask.....
                                                    Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

terryufs

where can I get a carb rebuild kit

Chris Cummings

There are several sources:

Classic and Exotic Services
https://www.classicandexotic.com/store/p-662-cadillac-johnson-carburetor-repair-kit-1927-1931-v8.aspx

Pete Sanders
http://fm22.triple8.net/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db=PartsDatabase04-12-07&-loadframes

You can also contact Classic Carburetors in Phoenix or Daytona Parts Company in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.

Best regards,

Chris Cummings

terryufs

Chris, where can I get a heavier amp battery for that car.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I'll make several suggestions. You are moving a little too fast on this car for a newbie.  When was the last time it was run?? One other important thing is the car is POSITVE ground.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Chris Cummings

Most battery shops should be able to sell you a heavy duty six-volt battery that fits your battery box.  The shop manual calls for 120 amp-hours. 

terryufs

Yes the car has positive ground and we got the car running last week.