News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

At the Gilmore yesterday

Started by BJM, August 31, 2019, 09:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I finally made it to the Gilmore yesterday.  I had a business trip that took me to Port Huron, and got done in adequate time on Thursday to make Kalamazoo. 

I was not able to spend all day there, and in some ways that is OK.  I normally do not like car museums. I was not able to make it into the Model A building and I believe the motorcycles building.  My 1st building outside the main was the Cadillac Display. 

I can see where the fall gathering would be very nice setting here.   That Broadmoor 1959 car in the showroom is extraordinary.  I like how they mixed "normal" Cadillacs in with the top shelfers in the Cadillac building. 

Really liked what the Lincoln group has done.  I don't know the particulars, but this seems like the business model for car collections in the future, and wonder why more clubs don't build buildings there for the purpose of archival activity and interest. 

It was 73 degrees and no humidity.  They opened most of the buildings up.

A few questions, which I am not sure anyone can answer.  Since Donald Gilmore started the museum in 1966 to show his cars, where are his cars?  I did not see any listed as his cars.

colinlikens

My husband and I had the chance to stop there on a road trip back in July.  (I've been meaning to to post about it since then, so thanks for this new thread!)

The Gilmore was great fun overall.  But I was especially proud and grateful as a CLC member for all the great work it took to make the Cadillac display and collection there.  Thanks very, very much to all current and past members who had any part in this!

1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

jdemerson

Quote from: BJM on August 31, 2019, 09:37:56 AM

A few questions, which I am not sure anyone can answer.  Since Donald Gilmore started the museum in 1966 to show his cars, where are his cars?  I did not see any listed as his cars.

I believe that all the cars in the Donald Gilmore collection are in the main (brick) building, or else in storage. The Museum sells an excellent book by David O Lyon called "The Gilmore Car Museum". I believe that photos of most of the Gilmore cars appear somewhere in that book. Others in the book are identified by the car owners (e.g., Classic Car Club of America Museum; Northwoods Classic Car Museum).  My wife bought the book when we were there for a F.F., and gave it to me for Christmas. Nice!

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

BJM

Thanks guys.  I looked at each cars description for a Gilmore car and never saw one but was not able to go everywhere.   For those who have not been, this is a 9-5 er.   I was there for only 3-4 hours because it was technically a business trip.  I could have spent about an hour or more in the CLC building alone, with all of the dioramas. 

The CLC archives are not there are they? 

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The Archives are open on Thursdays, I believe, and don't have handy the name of the town where they're located. It is just off I-94 I believe.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

J. Skelly

Hickory Corners, near Kalamazoo
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

The Cadillac & LaSalle Club Museum has a separate location in Dexter Michigan where we maintain complete archives of literature, advertising, it's not at Hickory Corners, the museum is at Hickory Corners.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

J. Skelly

I misinterpreted Barry's post, and apologize for that.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)