News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 cadillac won't crank

Started by Bluebeast59, August 31, 2019, 11:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebeast59

Took car out for some errands last night. last stop it started , then immediately died. Checked all battery connections. Tried jumping it and would just barely try to turn over. For a short time while attempting to jump there was 12 volts at the battery and lights and windows worked. Five minutes later it was just completely dead. Can a modern battery die that fast, or am I looking in the wrong place? Also tried tapping on the starter. Battery is about 4 years old. Any ideas? Thanks.
1959 2 door cdv

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Battery may have developed an internal short which could well result in the symptoms described. Not common but I have seen it happen.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

If I get 4 years out of a modern battery I am happy. Symptoms for me at least are typical of what I see when one cell goes out
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Yes a cell can go bad spontaneously and without warning.

Amazingly, a 9 year old bargain basement battery is still under the hood of a '62 that I've owned for the same length of time - in an unheated building no less.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

Yes
Batteries can die suddenly.
Has happened to me in the past.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bluebeast59

well it's not the battery, got 12.68 volts. Nothing electrical works , no lights , no windows , radio, power seat all dead. If it was a coil it would still turn over, but not start. Is there a fusible link that goes from the battery to supply power to the starter and other electrical. Looks like a tow job, beyond me. Thanks for ideas.
1959 2 door cdv

35-709

Sounds like a fusible link would be a likely suspect, don't know what '59s used but certainly worth checking.  Make sure your battery cables both positive and ground are tight and clean with no corrosion at the battery terminals or within the cables themselves.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

76eldo

Check all battery connections as stated.
What happens when you jump the car with another battery ?
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bluebeast59

The lights , windows and radio would work when trying to jump it, but wouldn't turnover at all. Got a new battery and problem solved. What through me is it was still showing voltage of 12+, but apparently there were no amps. I noticed that the nut on the positive post clamp wasn't real tight when putting the new battery in, but was tight enough that the clamp couldn't be turned on the post, as that was the first thing I checked last night. So I'm going with a bad battery. Thanks all.
1959 2 door cdv