News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cardboard panel in the back of rear seat Eldo-71

Started by Matti R, September 04, 2019, 11:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti R

Hi.
The panel in the back of rearseat is damaged during the years, and is not holding the upholstery in place. Is this panel available somewhere? I did Not find any supplier in web. I don’t even know proper name for this item. Material is probably masonite.
Thanks in advance!
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

fishnjim

Something a good local upholstery shop should be able to fix.   
Otherwise, have to find a good used, which is probably not easy unless someone has and sees this.   A body shop interior manual would give the parts info.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Matti,

And I thought mine was bad.   And yes, the backing is Masonite.

At the moment, my seat upholstery is held to the backing with string, woven through conveniently-placed holes in the Masonite, and I think I am eventually going to fabricate an Aluminium frame, to match the original one, but combining the cutouts for my retractable seat belt webbing.

I will be tackling mine sooner than later as I am about to have the car reupholstered, and will need the back completed.

The first picture is what it was like when I purchased the car in 2008

Second one with cut-out for rear shoulder belt.

Third one, laced together.

Fourth one.   More lacing.

Last one.   Looking passable

As from what I have been told, the Coupe and Convertible seats are the same, if you are in USA, I would be looking for the back seat from a Coupe, and stripping it down to see what it looks like.   A Coupe would suffer far less damage in that area than a Convertible.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

hornetball

It seems like making a replacement from hardware store masonite sheet wouldn't be too hard?  4x8' sheets of hardboard wall panel run ~$15.

Not sure about that crease down the middle though.

Matti R

Quote from: hornetball on September 05, 2019, 11:02:59 AM
It seems like making a replacement from hardware store masonite sheet wouldn't be too hard?  4x8' sheets of hardboard wall panel run ~$15.

Not sure about that crease down the middle though.
Those hooks on each side look a bit difficult.
Is it really so that new ones are not available?
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

The big problem is where the top of the panel curves around in a rather tight arc, with lesser arcs at the sides, with moulded corner arcs, and then there is the off-set mouldings of the containment fittings all around the outside.

This piece would be impossible to recreate from plain flat Masonite unless one had access to a correct male and female mould, plus extreme heat and pulverised Masonite material that would hold its shape when cooled down.   I have used a steam iron to successfully mould leatherboard for glove boxes, and A/C ducting on a '58 T'Bird that I converted, but steaming Masonite would take a very large "Box" to perform the task.

I have done some repairs and reconstruction to mine, making one out of two, using wood glue and extremely tapering the areas to be joined.   This area is down at the bottom corners where the steel is attached to hold the bottom of the back in place, plus the seat belt retainers.    Similar to what Matti has done to the same areas.

My idea of using 1/8" Aluminium is going to require a lot of work with a jig saw, folder, and heavy hammers and an anvil.   But, will post pictures

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon