News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Email address from John Gately?

Started by Roger Zimmermann, September 04, 2019, 12:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Since a long time, I'm searching parts for a 1980 Seville. In the Self-Starter, I saw that John Gately is selling Cadillac parts till 1992 and may have what I need. A site address is provided in the add. By opening the site, a "contact us" form is provided. When that form is filled up, there is no "send" button!
As I already wrote, I don't call in the US for parts: I don't understand the way people are speaking. (or only 30%)
Has somebody the email address from this company? (if they have one, maybe they are still working with telex or fax!)
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dan LeBlanc

I've dealt with John once.  Good experience, but electronic correspondence directed me to call his number.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Dan! Therefore, John will not get my money.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

They have a facebook page also if that helps e-contact.

Maybe Gately will see this and fix their website.   Some of those don't pop-up til you put in the correct gotcha code, but I tried it and it's not working.   

I can't recall how I first contacted them, I thought it was by email/list, but it was finally by phone and I had to wait a few weeks til he went to his warehouse in Boston to look.   By then I already had what I needed.   Perhaps you should list what you need on the "want to buy" forum.

There's plenty of people with '80s parts, unfortunately it's not an era I enjoy.   Maybe you should try the U-need-a-part or other parts yards on line.   You fill out their form and they contact you.

35-709

If snail mail isn't too slow for you, here is his postal address:
John Gately,
P.O. Box  190679,
Roxbury Station, MA 02119.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the answers. Me, sending a letter like 30 years ago? No, thanks!
I already put the list (very short) in the "wanted" without concrete result. I'm not in the social medias, so John will never know that his system is not working.
I have no time to deal with unorganized people; sorry for them.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

No email address listed in the CLC Directory for Gately either. I guess he has his reasons...
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

John does things the old fashioned way.  No computerized inventory and all that stuff.  Payments are via cheque or wire transfer. 

The one thing I called him for, he knew exactly where it was and had it located before we hung up the phone.

Very trustworthy, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

EAM 17806

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on September 04, 2019, 01:46:18 PM
John does things the old fashioned way.  No computerized inventory and all that stuff.  Payments are via cheque or wire transfer. 

The one thing I called him for, he knew exactly where it was and had it located before we hung up the phone.

Very trustworthy, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.
AMEN!   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TonyZappone #2624

John is a very nice (now) older man.  Always cheaper than anyone else, extremely polite and helpful.  Not everyone has adapted to modern electronic communication
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for all the comments. I understand that John is doing his business the "old" way, but, from a foreign country, that's not quite possible to go further. Imagine the phone bill I may have if for each request I had, I had to do phone calls!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carlhungness

I've run across no better person in the old car business than John Gately. I called and asked if he has a set of radiator stay rods for my '37 LaSalle and he said, "I think I sold them." A couple of months later he called and told me he found the set, and sold them to me for $50 (this year). He remembered my request and filed it in his 80 year old memory.
       He doesn't do e mail but he does text. His current number is 617 445-3300.
       As far as making international calls goes, I found a service called Ring Britain whereby I can call the UK very inexpensively, so the possibility exists you may have a call the USA service in your country.
       It'll be a sad day when 'ol John leaves us. He says he is going to will his inventory to the Cadillac-LaSalle Club with the proviso we find someone to take the whole lot, or nothing. Thus I think it might be prudent for one or more club members to visit him with a video camera and try to take inventory as best as one can. It'll sure save a lot of headaches in the future.

Bobby B

Quote from: carlhungness on September 04, 2019, 06:55:18 PM
  I've run across no better person in the old car business than John Gately.

When I purchased the '47, I was a little green on what I got myself into. John Gately was the first person I contacted when I needed some initial parts to get me going. Not only did he spend time with me on the phone, he also gave me a little bit of an education regarding these Flatheads. He would instruct me to call him after he had his dinner so he had time to talk. He told me awesome stories, part numbers/ substitutions, and directed me to other vendors when he knew he didn't have something I needed. His prices were more than fair, and the parts were exactly as he described. In all honesty, he's one of the most knowledgeable, honest, and nicest people I've ever dealt with regarding parts. A true gentlemen.......
                                                                                                                                                 Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: carlhungness on September 04, 2019, 06:55:18 PM
             As far as making international calls goes, I found a service called Ring Britain whereby I can call the UK very inexpensively, so the possibility exists you may have a call the USA service in your country.

It's not a price problem but to understand what people are saying! My experience with calls in the US is not good at all. Sometimes, when people are noting that the person at the other end of the line is not fluent in English, they try to speak not so quick and distinctly. Unfortunately, the majority don't do that effort and are speaking  as usual. Very frustrating. By the way, I have such a system to call in foreign countries.
Help came this morning from an unexpected person: the man who was in the back office at the now closed Johnson Literature corresponded with me some time ago and now offered his help to find the parts. Thanks Evan!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bobby B

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on September 05, 2019, 05:16:14 AM
It's not a price problem but to understand what people are saying! My experience with calls in the US is not good at all. Sometimes, when people are noting that the person at the other end of the line is not fluent in English, they try to speak not so quick and distinctly. Unfortunately, the majority don't do that effort and are speaking  as usual. Very frustrating.

John has a Heavy Boston Accent, so you're EVEN!  ;D ;D ;D
                                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

EAM 17806

John is a great guy and very accommodating to everyone. He's one of the few sellers with good honest fair prices for his parts which has to be appreciated.   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

fishnjim

20  replies and no action?   U R all missing Roger's point.   
The website has a request page to fill out and there's no "send" button.   That's not being old fashion.  That's inoperative.   Gately paid money to someone to set it up and it's not functioning.   
Those that know him so well, may want to pass it on, he's losing business.

ps:I guess Roger could tell us what parts he needs, and maybe we can help in finding rather than being defensive and arguing?   There's a place for that "want to buy" on this site.

Roger Zimmermann

That's the point I was trying to tell. John will stay old fashion when he is never getting an email from his site!
I put already my inquiry in the "want to buy" but I'm glad to repeat it here, even if it will be displaced: 1980 Sevilles have two filler unter the dash which are there for 2 purposes: reduce the noise inside the car and to hide the various wires and hardware. On the attached copy there are items 109 & 110. Those trim parts are usually rather quickly discarded when a car is going to be scraped because of no value. Except for the owner from that Seville which parts are missing!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101