News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Tack welding ball joints necessary?

Started by 62 driver, September 05, 2019, 11:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 driver

Replacing upper and lower ball joints on a 1961 Cadillac.  Is it necessary to spot weld them in place.  I am having a machine shop do them but want them done right! Thanks Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Bobby B

Sometimes when the holes are "Clapped Out" and they don't have an oversize press fit ball joint for your model car, it's common practice. Just make sure it's done properly and you should be OK. There are other ways around that problem also..... Good Luck!
                                                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

StormaLore

bctexas

My '65 uses the same factory welded upper ball joint as the '61.  I replaced mine with uppers from Moog.  After carefully cutting the weld with a Dremel and a cutoff wheel and pressing the old joint out, I pressed in the replacement joint.  The body of the new joint is threaded, and has a ring that screws on the bottom of the joint to hold it to the arm.  One needs a pin wrench to tighten it.  No welding necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/Williams-482-Adjustable-Spanner-2-Inch/dp/B001DNWVH8

HTH
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day BC,

Thank you for your quick reply to a request from a new member, but sadly, you replied to a message that was posted by a Spammer, to an old thread, which is what spammers like to do to test the waters so to speak to see if they have got through.

He has since been banned, and refused access to the Forum.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon