News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Forum Response Time

Started by Jay Friedman, September 05, 2019, 01:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Friedman

On my computer the forum response time is very slow.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  (Everything else on my computer is normal.)  This happened to a number of people, including me, a year or so ago.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Same problem here.  40 seconds for this Post Reply box to show up so I could reply to this thread.  It will take 40 seconds to get back to the subject list and 40 seconds to get to the next thread and so on.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

SixDucks

Try restarting your computer.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

Jason Edge

Works great for me. I just tried logging in and selecting "Reply" using Google Chrome, MS Edge, MS Internet Explorer, and IOS on my iPhone and the reply box came up instantly with no issues. You might clear your cache/cookies, and make sure your browser is up to date.  It is also good to know what speed connection you have.
Here is a link for the  Spectrum Speed Test that I use (but any will work):
https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speedtest-only

For pcs there are good free cleaners such as CC Cleaner that will scan and delete the junk from your PC. I've probably been using it for a decade and run it at least once a week.

Other considerations for PC's include malware, (I use Malwarebyte to search and remove), and viruses, spyware, etc. and need to make sure you are running security/firewall software.

For malware I use Malware bite. to make sure device drivers are up to date I use SlimDrivers…
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

35-709

No, restarting the computer did not help.  What did help was switching from Google Chrome back to Firefox that I used to use and still have in my computer.  Using Firefox, this site works well.  So now I don't know if it is a problem with Google Chrome in my computer or if the server the CLC forums use is having a problem with Google Chrome.
As Jay is experiencing, everything else in my computer (other forums, etc.) works fine except this forum.  So, for the time being I will just have to remember to use Firefox when coming to the CLC forums.

Jason Edge

As I indicated I am using Google Chrome (it is actually my primary browser these days) and using version Version 76.0.3809.132. Might make sure you have the latest version.. but if Firefox does the trick then looks like you have a solution.  I would still periodically clean your cache and make sure your security software has done a recent complete scan. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am having problems getting to the CLC Message Board, ever since I got an automatic update from Windows 10.

All the other sites I go to are good, but I have to get to the CLC via a sort of back door.   It opens up with going to my Modem first, but I cannot go past there, without going to another site and back-tracking.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

I sent a PM to Peter Gariepy about it, hopefully there is something he can do on his end.

Art Director

I've found cleaning out the cache helps.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Glen

You can try rebooting your modem and wi-fi if you are using wi-fi.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger Zimmermann

I still use Internet Explorer (I have a site which only accepts IE); I have no problem with this site.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

EAM 17806

Works very well for me!   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

76Caddy

Got aggravated with the slow response time on home computer so waited till I got to work to read and it is just as bad.  Only CLC forum is slow.

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

R S Steven

I'm having the same problem on my computer, my wife's computer and my phone.  It takes from 40 seconds to over a minute for the page to load.  It can't be that all three pieces of equipment are at fault and the only site that is affect is CLC, its must be something with this site. I have tried it with a couple of different browsers with the same result.  All my other search are normal.  This started happening yesterday with CLC forum.

Bob

Bob Schuman

My experience is the same as Jay's, recently very slow response only on the CLC Message Board site, problem also occurred last year for a while then went away until about a week ago. I use Google Chrome browser, tried Firefox which switched me back to Chrome, then tried Avast browser which seems to be getting around the slow response. Rebooting, clearing cookies, had no effect.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Jeff Hansen

From the outside looking in, the fact that the forum works great for some people and not others tells me that the message board â€" or the server it resides on â€" is probably not the problem.  Notice the use of the words probably not.  You never say never, but I would look elsewhere, initially, for a problem.

Don’t forget that there is not a direct connection between your computer and this forum.  The path from you to the forum goes through many different computers â€" any one of which could be causing a slowdown. 

So, is there a common characteristic among those who are having problems? 

• Geographic location?  Probably not since I know Jay Friedman lives in Georgia and Bob Schuman is in Illinois.

• Are affected users using the same Internet Service Provider (ISP)?  Possibly, but I doubt it.

• A problem among the ISPs?  ISPs do share common access points onto the Internet and some ISPs are owned by a common parent company.
Let’s try some troubleshooting.

Let’s run the “tracert” command on your Windows-based computer and look at the output.  Tracert is short for “trace route.”  This will show you all the computers (up to 30, anyway) that your request to visit the forums must go through to get to the computer this forum resides on.  This will also show you the amount of time your request took to get to each computer in milliseconds and report a response back.  For some, it will be just a handful of computers, for others, many.  For me, it’s 19 (I live in Delaware).  That’s a bunch of places things can go wrong.

Please note, the following ONLY applies to Windows based computers:

• Open a CMD window on your computer (if you aren’t sure how to do this, check with your favorite search engine)

• At the command prompt, type tracert forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org and then press the Enter key.  Make sure “tracert” is one word and there is a space between it and the forum’s URL.

You’re looking for large numbers of milliseconds (greater than a  couple of thousand - 1000 milliseconds = 1 second).  This is where a slowdown is occurring.  There could be more than one.  If less than 30 computers are listed, the very last one listed will be the server the forum is on. 

What if all the numbers are large?  Then I’d guess the problem is closer to your computer or your ISP.

So, what if the problem computer is in the middle of the list?  Well, Peter can’t do anything about that.  For that, you need to go to your ISP and report the problem and have them investigate it.  Send them a screen capture of the tracert output.

I’m including a screen capture of the tracert command I ran on my computer so you see what to expect for output.

Sorry if I got too technical here.  My point is there are many places along the route where there could be a problem â€" not just the end point.

HTH,
Jeff

Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Jason Edge

Thanks to Jeff for posting this. Tracert is an easy way to gauge the speed through the various servers that lead to the CLC Forums.  My access to the forums seem very fast but ran the trace to see what numbers I would get. Mine are a bit slower than Jeff's but nothing out of the ordinary.. and my access to the site with these #'s seems almost instant. I have attached my #'s.
Perhaps one of you with slow response can pull up a CMD window (just type CMD in search box in Windows) and enter the command Jeff provided and let's see what times you are getting as you are routed from server to server.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

35-709

Interesting part is it has happened to several of us all at the same time.