News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Glove Box Lock Cylinder Removal 68

Started by Highwayman68, September 07, 2019, 10:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highwayman68

I have searched though the shop manual but I can't find instructions on how to remove the lock cylinder on the glove box of a 1968, a little help please.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

hornetball

For 1974, instructions are found in the FSM in section 12 (Chassis Electrical -- Instrument Panel).  I found it by doing a search on key word "glove."

Instructions are:
1.  Open glove box door.
2.  Insert key and pull latch mechanism arm to latch position.  Turn key to lock position and remove key.
3.  Through slot in top of lock case, depress cylinder retainer and insert key into lock cylinder.
4.  Release retainer and remove lock cylinder assembly.
(NOTE:  Lock cylinder knob is not serviced separately from cylinder.)

I don't know if '68 is the same as '74, but I suspect they are.  In my case, once I got to step 4 it took a little jiggling and then the whole assembly pulled straight out.

Highwayman68

That doesn't seem to align with what I have. I do have the shop manual digitally and tried another search using just glove but still nothing came up about how to remove the lock cylinder from the glove box door. I also checked the Fisher Body Service manual and nothing in there on it either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Highwayman68

Got the answer elsewhere...

You have to remove the bezel. Turning it counterclockwise will unscrew it from the lock housing. Then the cylinder comes right out.

For those who missed this post but didn't read back

cadillacmike68

Sorry Mark, I wasn't paying attention or I would have posted earlier.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

J. Skelly

the lock on my '77 fell out once …
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

bcroe

I believe on my 62, you could reach into the keyway with a hook
to release the retainer and pull it out.  Forgotten the details. 
Bruce Roe