News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle data body plate

Started by backdraft9213, September 07, 2019, 06:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backdraft9213

Greetings! A few years ago, our family obtained a 1940 LaSalle. We have decided to find her history an are running into some dead ends. The VIN was removed from 2 locations a few years ago during a previous restoration. She has the original body tag, which even with the LaSalle data book, I can't seem to find the trim codes listed and the paint code is blank. Any ideas? Since we can't get the build sheet without the VIN, I'm trying to go other avenues to see what I can find. We were told of the 125 cars made, she is one of three left, doesn't' mean much, but it may help in my research.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

It's a special order car. The SO could be anything, paint or interior. I think there's a few more than 3 left. You GOTTA find that VIN!! Was the motor changed also?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

backdraft9213

Bob, unfortunately, yes. The motor and front end were replaced around 2006, well before we purchased the car. Fingers crossed that there is the 3rd copy of the VIN stamped on the frame, under the driver's seat. That's the only other place it may be. There were very few made with dual tire cover mounts, that's why we were told there aren't may left around of this style. The information is that of the 1940 5029's only 4 were shipped from the factory with dual side mounts. (LaSalle Cadillac's companion Car page 345)

35-709

Wouldn't the VIN be on your registration or title?
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Geoff,
That would be too easy!!! LOL!!
Backdrtaft,
What do you mean the front end was replaced???
Bob

backdraft9213

When the car was purchased 2 owners ago, the front end had been replaced with a Mustang II front end, therefore the DMV assigned a new VIN to the car, which appears to be common.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

New front end , new VIN??? That's the most ridicules thing I ever heard. I did that in Kalifornia but made sure my  VIN did NOT get disturbed. No reason to cut back that far. I assume they did. I assume it's a different motor also.  Let us know when you look for that elusive second frame VIN.  I have some other information but you may want to contact me directly at bobscads@comcast.net.
Bob

DaveZ

There is nothing on the top frame rail on the drivers side? I find it hard to believe if they changed the front end they went that far back? Unless they just thought it would be a good idea to grind it off!:-( Maybe they just filled it if you are lucky?
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

backdraft9213

We found the 3rd VIN under the driver's side door but it's so bad you can't read it. I did get a nice Gent from Cadillac that was able to confirm that the car was the 62nd of 125 convertibles made and yes, it is only one of 4 special ordered with the side mounts.  After digging through the Vehicle information kits starting at 1939 and working my way back I was able to figure out that the SO-9032 translates out to Special Order paint 90 (Phantom Metallic used on the 1936 series 36-50 Cadillac) and interior 32 (Gray Pattern Cloth used in the 1939 LaSalles), however, without that elusive, I won't be found until you're dead VIN, I can't get the build sheet lol

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Sorry, but... your conclusion on the meaning of the SO is NOT correct. More potential bad news is your car may not have had  side mounts when it left the factory.  All cars made with side mounts have a 6W in the lower corner of the data plate. That stands for six wheel. Keep searching!!
Bob

backdraft9213

Per Cadillac: The Trim No. appears to start with “SO” which would have been a special order.  There were a lot of special order color combinations  by Cadillac back in the 30s and 40s so this could have been a previous model color code for convertible top and paint or interior trim and paint, etc.  I do not see a 90 or a 32 listed in the 1940 data I researched.

So, if the gentleman from Cadillac is incorrect about the SO then what is it??

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

#1 The SO just happens to be across for the trim. That DOES not make it a trim SO. It' s in that position on every SO tag whether it's trim or paint.  Read page 341 of the LaSalle book.
#2 The SO #'s start with #1 & up thru the end of production.
#3 YOUR SO could have been any # in that series. 667,1349, 9033  etc.
#4 The "gentleman"  from Cadillac, whoever he is, is incorrect. I have no idea how he knows your car was one of the 4? If he knows that, he has the invoice.
#5 The bottom line is you will never know what your cars SO was if you don't have the invoice.
Bob